OT: emus coming home to roost crash land at banks......

No metal content (other than gold and silver).

Far larger than chickens are the off-the-books emus crash landing at the banks as they come home to roost [and poop].

The recent troubles with the GSEs Freddie and Sally have flushed other real estate related debt to the surface. One bank [Citigroup] has 1.1 Trillion [with a T] $US of off-the-books/off budget debt about to crash through the ceiling.

========= "Citigroup's $1.1 Trillion of Mysterious Assets Shadows Earnings

By Bradley Keoun Enlarge Image/Details

July 14 (Bloomberg) --

At an investor presentation in May, Citigroup Inc. Chief Executive Officer Vikram Pandit said shrinking the bank's $2.2 trillion balance sheet, the biggest in the U.S., was a cornerstone of his turnaround plan.

Nowhere mentioned in the accompanying 66-page handout were the additional $1.1 trillion of assets that New York-based Citigroup keeps off its books: trusts to sell mortgage-backed securities, financing vehicles to issue short-term debt and collateralized debt obligations, or CDOs, to repackage bonds. "

for complete article click on

also see
and the band played on.......

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

The article was surprisingly good. Apparently, a lot of bogus accounting was being done, all to inflate the profits and not count the value of "guarantees" given to various parties.

The scam was as follows: you would give me money (which I would record as profit) and I would give you a guarantee that some investment will never fail (which I would NOT record as an expense).

The result was outstanding profits and big management bonuses.

Ignoramus19502