#OT# More Detroit soap opera

January 09 total auto/light truck sales figures are in. This is an adjusted anualized sales rate of 9.6 million, the worst since

1981. Probem is that the US population has greatly increased so when the sales data is expressed as sales per 100k of population it is a disaster.

est US population 2009 - 306 million [133% of 1981] est US population 1981 - 230 million

------------- GM, Ford Drag U.S. Sales to Worst Month Since ?81 (Update1)

By Jeff Green and Alan Ohnsman

Feb. 3 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. said U.S. sales plummeted at least 40 percent in January and Toyota Motor Corp. dived by almost a third, dragging the world?s biggest auto market to the worst month since 1981.

U.S. industrywide deliveries tumbled 37 percent to 656,976 as the recession ravaged demand. That translates into an annual rate of

9.6 million after an average of more than 16 million vehicles in this decade, research firm Autodata Corp. said.

----------------

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Well, I haven't seen anything that would make me go buy a new truck, and I need one, or else I need to put a pile into my old rustbucket. Prices remain too high and reliability remains dubious.

Research into even a newer used shows problems across the board - bad brakes on all of the US Makes, aluminum-head fords spitting sparkplugs, fords and chryslers randomly igniting themselves, GMs with bad pistons (or cylinders, same diff) from the factory, etc. ad nauseam. It's almost enough to make me consider an old Willys instead...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

--------------------- You and everyone else that has to drive/maintain what they buy.

Same story down at panel that meets at the local donut shop.

We have a friend in KCMO that paints houses. For years he bought a new Jeep station wagon every three years for his work car. Was due for one in 09 but talked to the 08 Jeep owners, looked at the vehicles, and kept his old one [which looks brand new].

Detroit appears to have not only ran into a "credit crunch" but a tipping point where people are just tired of being ripped off.

I wonder how they factored this into their viability analysis for Congress.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

--Not surprising. I remember the day I heard Chevy was selling a "hybrid pickup", oh, joy. Went down to the dealer post haste and there's a big-block doofus of a truck with two batteries, an inverter and a 110-VAC panel in the box so's a contractor could plug in a saw. Not quite what I had in mind! Brought to you by the same company that couldn't figure out why their Nova didn't sell in Italy ("no va", heh).

Reply to
steamer