$4 dollar gas and its effects on metalworking

Well it looks like we will definitely see $4 dollar gas this summer.

Any thoughts as to how this will affect us HSMers in the shop?

I already find myself limiting the distance I will drive to view, purchase and pickup machines and supplies for my shop.

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

For sure the metal thieves will not be able to afford the gasoline to haul their collection to the scrap yard. Probably the same for the people who are advertising all the time for scrap metal.

Should be more for us!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Less competition, so it's worth driving further? Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Gee, I WISH we had $4/gallon gas. Best price today here in Kitchener/Waterloo is $4.20 for regular. Across town it was $4.30. ANd that's for your pipsqueak american gallon.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

$1.21 per litre here. You do the math!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

=========== There is the price that you pay at the pump and what gas actually costs.

Best current estimate is that *TOTAL* American gas costs to the end user/consumer are about 10 to 12$ per US gallon when subsidies, petroleum company tax breaks, tax increment financing, no cost oil from public lands, etc., (which the tax payers or their grand kids) have to make up are included.

Note that this does *NOT* include the interest cost on the borrowed money for the oil company tax breaks and evasion, military costs including American lives, tax evasion, and the geo-political costs, which adds substantial but indefinite costs to every gallon.

==> This shows again what a bad idea it is to subvert the free market by hiding costs.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

All true and this isn't only an energy industry thing. Increased gasoline prices have already had one positive result here in LA. Traffic has dropped significantly on some routes, especially I-405 between LAX and 101. I made it from Chatsworth to Torrance (46 miles) yesterday in an hour at three o'clock in the afternoon. That is unheard of.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

But you have free health care ;)

Reply to
Wes

"John R. Carroll" wrote

I figured it was about break point time for slovenly unnecessary driving. Lots of people flitting here and there, cell phone glued to their ear, driving a stick shift, drinking a soda and smoking at the same time. Going nowhere, doing nothing. Usually under twenty five years old.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008 08:51:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes quickly quoth:

I'd be willing to accept a buck a gallon raise for a decent health care package. I don't use 100-300 gallons per month. (single)

-- Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not free in Ontario. There is an employee health tax.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

It's not free. It just that there is a health insurance plan for each province. Most of us pay a fee every month. That and taxation covers the cost when we do get sick. The system is run as close to cost as possible. In B.C., it's run by a crown corporation. There is some variation from one province to another. The Canada Health Act sets minimum standards. No one can be refused coverage for previously occurring conditions. Many people also volunteer where it's practical. For example, I am registered as a volunteer driver, to take cancer patients in for treatment. This way, we do not have to front cash when services are needed, and overall costs are lower due to the economies of scale.

Steve. R.

Reply to
Steve R.

I made up this "international icon" graphic to 'splain the situation. I thought it would make a great bumper sticker...

Richard

Now just why the HELL do I have to press 1 for English? John Wayne

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Then you will get a 2-buck a gallon raise and no health coverage ;(

nick hull

I use much more than that.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

With three drivers and two cars in my family, we use about 45 gallons/month. That is, since I started telecommuting.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:20:22 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Steve R." quickly quoth:

That's what our Congress said they were doing for us with the current prescription drug plan. Instead, it resulted in higher overall costs for U.S. citizens and a real windfall for the drug companies.

Comprehensive health care should be available in the USA, but we'll have to totally revamp the entire system to be able to do it. Moving to a preventive care system would help, too. The gov't shouldn't fund it (I'm a Libertarian, and I hate to add the latter, too) but could regulate it.

By putting the Congress on our own public health system, it would

-really- help get them focused on the actual issues here.

-- Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 05:34:41 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, nick hull quickly quoth:

The end result would be the $2/gal raise, since I don't have coverage now. It's all fantasy and idealism, anyway. We're going down the tubes and we no longer "gotta wear shades" to see our near future.

-- Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 03:40:04 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Unfortunately, THAT, sir, is a self-inflicted wound.

-- Save the whales! Trade them for valuable prizes.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Speak for you own depressing future, Larry. I just got a pair of heavily chromed Georgia Cop shades! Looking forward to it.

BTW, anyone who advocates Socialized Medicine in the US should go check out the VA hospitals in this country.

The top dogs are getting paid bonuses for not providing the services paid for (by you).

yeah yeah, I got cites...

Richard

whales? What on earth would I want with whales?

Reply to
cavelamb himself