OT -motorcycle conundrum

It looks like it may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain. How do we set the timing for the cam?

More later ca

Reply to
clay

Bent valve?

Reply to
clutch

Looks like the timing chain may have jumped, too.

ca

Reply to
clay

Clay,

There should be timing marks on one end of the cam/cams, and one on the crank. I haven't worked on Hondas in a couple of decades, but on the old

305's, you set the crank to TDC and lined up the marks on the cam.

A bigger issue here is "WHY" did it jump. Sounds like a broken tensioner spring or mechanism. Usually, on the twins anyway, this was bolted on between the barrels on the non-load (slack) side. I'd also look at the condition of the sprockets and get a new chain for sure. What happens sometimes is people run these bikes low on oil, or never change it. All the lower end is on roller bearings (except the fours) so it just keeps running. The chain runs in oil at the bottom, so if the oil gets low, the chain wears and stretches. This changes the pitch, which no longer matches the sprockets. Then the tensioner starts to bounce back and forth, and the sprockets start to wear.

You may have to change quite a few parts to make it right.

Mark

Reply to
MM

So did you finally figure out what was wrong ?

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Tooth jumped on cam gear, bent valve (we think) as the intake valve leaks fluid. Camshaft bore & shaft near gear side is chewed up pretty bad. so it looks like we are in for at least a new head, camshaft, timing chain & gear. Or, I can line bore the head, find someone to grind the camshaft, replace & regrind the valves, for probably the same price.

And a heck of a time pulling the head off. If honda just gave us 1.0" more clearance, we wouldn't have had to drop the motor.

I talked with a shop that has dozens of the same dead heads laying around. This problem is very common on these motors. No oil filtration, run it without regular oil changes, and it will do this. something I should have paid mre attention to. All the bikes I have had, had oil filters. Megacycle will do a needle bearing camshaft upgrade, for about the same price as either of the above options.....

Anyone know a good/cheap camshaft grinder shop? I'm thinking of adding at least a sleeve bearing, that way I can toss the spun bearing, rather than doing the whole head again.

ca

Reply to
clay

Suggest leave the camshaft profile alone unless it's been badly gouged /worn...

OTT, believe you CAN rebuild the damned thing to be better than new--( Yup, I certainly DO know where best to place MY 'faiths' )....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT