Professionsal Reference

Can someone give me an example of a professional reference? I have send out many resumes and filled out many applications and now a headhunter calls
me and says he send my resume to a company but they want 2 professional references. I am a machinist that has never made it a point to make friends with my co- workers other than the usually conversation at break time or a ride to the coffee shop. I have no addresses or phone numbers of any "friends" that I have worked with at my last job where I had been at for 10 years and would have to go back a bit. I don't hang around with machinists. Everyone knows they are a bad crowd. Is this what they mean as a professional reference or should I hire someone to provide a service as these guys are Job Nazis anyway? I don't drink or smoke anything. I don't bowl or hunt but I have worked 80 hours a week many times. Should I go out and get a life to get a job?
John.
John,
Professional references are from previous bosses, managers you have worked for, or some other individual that can vouch for your character as a good employee. Even crummy bosses that you didn't get along with, or particularly like, can be useful as a professional reference, as they typically will still say nice things about you, if you were a good, decent employee. It is always a good idea to ask for a letter of recomendation from former bosses.
ca
John wrote:

Only verify duration of employment--otherwise, could come back to bite you in the ass..
Fact is...I'd bet you five bucks that the above prospect employer seldom (if ever) provides their own ex-employees with "letters of reference"
--

SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

Most of the places I have worked for have not ended with a bouquet as they never liked paying a half decent wage to begin with let alone time and a half when they get behind. One of my most recent bosses was a bit of a hardass due to his own problems and I have always wondered about him. Maybe I should have them screened by the hear hunter as he has his cut to consider. I have never had any difficulty becoming employed in the past but now I can't figure if it is the lack of the wish to pay and I might have to drop down or a bite in the ass like mentioned. I also wonder how much the agencies ask for with this last one giving me a starting wage of the upper twenties. Is he getting 5-10 bucks an hour on top of that perhaps.