question for the gurus-turning copper

Need some starting points for turning / drilling copper SFPM? FPR?

TIA Darrell

Reply to
reidmachine

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news:61c24b3b-2dea-4028-9018-1ba5c92d4e65 @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

What kind of copper?

Depending on the alloy, the machinability ranges from easy to poor.

Reply to
D Murphy

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news:c9f434e3-6e40-4f37-81e9- snipped-for-privacy@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Ick. Not one of the more machinable grades. 400 SFM is a little bit on the fast side unless you have high pressure coolant. I would run 275 SFM for roughing, 325 for finishing with an uncoated carbide tool. Maybe add

25-50 SFM for a good coated grade.

Chips won't break real well either.

I have had good luck drilling with high pressure coolant and straight flute drills.

Are these plasma parts by any chance?

Reply to
D Murphy

Can't say, customer proprietary, Yup, ickky poo poo, not making chips, mushing them, I will try your #'s tomorrow.

Had to slow the feed down, stuff wants to push real bad, I'd rather cut 316L!

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine