Copper washers

I need to make, buy or beg a small number (half a dozen will do) of copper washers, 1" x 1.25", thickness not critical, I need them in the
next three days or so. Any suggestions? I've got some 2" dia 'copper' bar, I thought of turning them from this & parting off but it's the most evil stuff I've ever tried to machine. I could probably knock up a pair of wad type punches which would do to knock them out from sheet by hand, but achieving concentricity might be a problem. I suppose with numbers that small it wouldn't matter too much if I had to make 20 to get 6 good ones <G>
TIA
Tim

Are these 1" or 1.25" diameter, or rectangular? Couldn't quite get my head around those dimensions for some reason... should that have been 0.125" thick??
Most sheet metal places could knock those out on a flypress type punch if you had the material.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Peter A Forbes wrote in message ...
wrote:

thick??
you
Peter, I read this as 1.25" OD , 1" ID but I could be wrong - not that I know of a source of such a beast.
Regards
Bob
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 16:07:02 GMT, "Bob Minchin"

That's right, Bob. They're large diesel injector seating washers.
Cheers Tim

oops, replied before this post showed. Still it was a good guess. <g>
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
you could try your local pirtec hyd hose supplier
--
Nick Holden
Banbury (UK)

<Bangs head against wall....>
Why the h*ll couldn't I see that!!
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
[snip]

Assuming that the above sizes are "nominal" then I would purchase a couple of appropriately sized metal cutting hole saws and obtain some copper sheet of the required thickness and then...
1st operation: clamp the sheet to a fibre board or hard wood base and cut a hole with a 1" (or slightly smaller) hole saw.
2nd operation: Using the (approx. 6mm) hole that was made in the base board during the 1st operation, cut a hole with a 1.25" (or slightly larger) hole saw. Discard the copper sheet with a large hole in it and keep the resulting 1.25" OD , 1" ID washer shaped object.
--
Mike Hopkins
CSME <http://goto/cheltsme>

Any fuel injection people handy nearby ?
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 16:42:25 GMT, John Stevenson

The local man hasn't anything near that size. I've eventually persuaded him to take an interest in doing the injectors for me, but he can't help with the washers.
Cheers Tim

of
the
I've
type
6
Tim,
Get a piece of normal plumbing pipe - cut axially and flatten into sheet.
Trepan washers on vertical mill or even lathe - >>maybe<< soldering first to something more substantial
AWEM

Tim
Another possible fudge is to get the nearest smaller washer, anneal it and stretch ID with a tapered mandrel, flatten, anneal, repeat etc
Ian

bloody hell this lot sounds painful. Whist Gert was cooking the broken leg of lamb for tonight's sacrifice I nipped into the workshop and turned a piece down to 1-1/4", bored it 1" and parted 6 pieces off about 1/16" thick. I'll chuck these at the postie tomorrow Tim.
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 19:16:15 GMT, John Stevenson

I'll take back what I said about you! <VBG>
Many thanks John (and to others for offers/suggestions!) This was my first thought, but I don't know what the 2" bar is that I've got, bought as 'copper' off ebay, but I was struggling to even turn it down when I wanted something similar but smaller a while ago. Maybe I didn't make the right sacrifice <g>
Cheers Tim
Tim
I have some 1 3/8" OD, 1" ID and 1/16" thick
Any good to you?
Richard Armstrong
Tim Leech wrote:

Are you sure that alternatives like off the shelf dowty seals won't be a better bet?
Turning copper, though achievable is a total pain (I've done a few brake caliper crush washers in an emergency), punching is the way to go.
On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:47:14 +0100, Martin Evans

Dowty seals have rubber inserts to act as seals. They are not a crush washer. Tim's application is for injector body to cylinder head joint which is subjected to a higher temperature that rubber will take.
-- Regards,
John Stevenson Nottingham, England.
John Stevenson wrote:

Absolutely right, and these things really do have to seal perfectly at all times. I once had a copper injector sleeve go on a Rolls Royce CV12 engine that was attached to a Petbow power centre out in Nigeria. God knows why the damn things were so thin in the first place, but as it was surrounded by a water jacket the consequences were quite severe when it broke through, and we had one very expensive rebuild including replacing the interestingly shaped crankshaft.
Peter