Sheeit, call me "jb".... I don't know how to manually contour either!!!!!

Awl --
'member dat loooong manual contouring thread, where I posted some
spreadsheet techniques for manual contouring using variables and passed
parameters'n'shit?
The one where it turned out that jb dint know how to contour OR use a
spreadsheet?? When he ran off like a gerl???
I think Garlic started that thread with a very inneresting article ca 1985
on manual contouring.
Well, truth be told, I didn't read all I proly should have, as I looked at
the pitchers, basically grokked what was going on (I thought), as it seemed
similar to other stuff I was doing/had done, and read some/skimmed some.
Well, ahm lookin at a simple part here, figgering I no need no stinkin fadal
CRC here, and it turns out.... Goddamm, I never *really* mimiced crc
manually the way I thought I had!!
Altho it seemed I was able to slick my way *around it* often enough.
But never truly mimiced it, it seems.
And, of course I would cave in and use crc whenever the going got really
tough.
I apparently did not realize just *how quickly* things get tough!!!
So I got a part here, which has a bit of an octagon thing goin on,
ostensibly no real need for crc, and as I tried to go around the first
corner, it hit me:
Man, I gotta go through *all this bullshit* just to go around a
goddamm non-90 deg corner????
Wow....
And for the first time, I now *really* understand the diff between M96 and
M97 (iirc), and see that if you are manually contouring, it seems to be
actually easier to roll around a corner than to not roll.
Ie, clearing the corner until you hit the new toopath for the next angled
edge is a worse picnic.
But with rolling you still gotta calc. the exact end point on the arc.....
For 90 deg, both ways are simple (non-rolling actually simpler for 90's),
but for anything else, goodgawd, you really gotta calculate yer ass off.
If not rolling around the corner, you gotta calc all kinds of parallel and
perpendicular lines'n'shit, with intersections! I think.....
So ahm thinkin, mebbe someone can post that link again!!!!
Or mebbe, if manual contouring is really this much of a pita, just fugit,
and use the crc.
The lesson I think I've lernt here is, Yo, anything other than 90 degrees:
CRC IT!!!!
Does anyone else put up The Good Fight to avoid CRC, and if so, at what
point do YOU cave in??? :)
Reply to
DrollTroll
I'll send you the material.
Reply to
John R. Carroll
On The way.
John R. Carroll
Silly me....
I forgot I'm the only asshole around here without cadcam.... :) More incentive to get some, I spose.
Reply to
DrollTroll
You need to have a loop so your cutter comes off the part loops around before cutting the next side for edge crispness. lol
I think there's a 15 year old version of millwrite still laying around where I work. Theyv'e since upgraded but the old versions are still laying around. Then there's old versions of autocad laying around, version 12 or 13 I think. All paid for but obsolete. So you go into autocad...draw your contour, save it as a dxf file. then you go into millwrite and import the dxf file as a custom font. Then simply place your new font letter A (your contour) where you want it. Add a G41 etc.. to the beginning and offset the width of your cutter at the machine with cutter comp..
You want free cadcam...say the word man, we'll build a system.
Reply to
vinny
use that, its totally free and looks usable. Even has dxf support. 2.5 axis milling. Pockets, contours, etc... You can even customize it with your company name...now thats friggen free if they let you put your own name on the software.
Reply to
vinny
some/skimmed
M96 leaves burrs and takes more cut time with its being more variable tool engagement.
M97 uses a rounded path, no burrs--shorter path and constant engagement take your pick........
Eventually, you might ( given a cad cam system several years ago you might have figured it out already ) understand how this might effect two different scenario where you want to use cutter comp where one cutter has a bottom radi and the other one doesnt.
Wanna spend another coupla years being viewed as a dum fa king here then go head and continue with your obstinate insitance on spreadshhets and what not
Reply to
over a barrel
could you repost this in English?
Reply to
Michael
From Wiki: Grok is a word invented by science fiction author Robert A. Heinlein, first used in the 1961 novel Stranger in a Strange Land.
To grok (pronounced /'gr?k/) is to share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity. In Heinlein's view of quantum theory, grokking is the intermingling of intelligence that necessarily affects both the observer and the observed.
In Stranger, a character defines "grok" as:
" Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed-to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science-and it means as little to us (because of our Earthly assumptions) as color means to a blind man. "
The Oxford English Dictionary defines grok as "to understand intuitively or by empathy; to establish rapport with" and "to empathize or communicate sympathetically (with); also, to experience enjoyment." Other forms of the word include "groks" (present third person singular), "grokked" (past participle) and "grokking" (present participle).
In an ideological context, a grokked concept becomes part of the person who contributes to its evolution by improving the doctrine, perpetuating the myth, espousing the belief, adding detail to the social plan, refining the idea or proofing the theory.
===================================
Note closely the Oxford English Dict. ref. :)
Note also the participles. :) :)
Idnat some shit, to *invent* a word, and it winds up in Oxford?
Reply to
DrollTroll
Ahh, this is the SVL we know and love. You threw me for a loop with your civil and kind reply in the retention knob thread. I thought mebbe your handle had been hijacked or sumpn.
Well, the inneresting thing in the above missive was that you can just as easily calc out the corner walk-around, as you can the discrete linear tool path.
Reply to
DrollTroll
oh ok, I never spent time focused on fiction on any denomination, science fiction included. I especially don't speak jb fiction.
Reply to
Michael
What else would you expect from a lying, slimeball like Kriss Hogg?
"Kristofer Hogg .... has an extensive background in machining and manufacturing processes."
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Reply to
jon_banquer