.STL File Slicer question!

Dear Group,
Not sure if this is the right group for this but here goes ....
I am currently working on a project that requires a .STL file to be
sliced by a given thickness in the Z axis. The aoutput will then store
these slices in a format that can be printed via an inkjet printer.
Does anyone know of any free / cheap software that will enable me to do
this?
Or knows what is involved in coding such a program?
Look forward to your replies.
SRG
Reply to
SRG