Survey: Has the Economy Affected Your Shop?

I'm not hearing from some of the regular folks right now, have been getting some interesting RFQ's though.

"D"

Reply to
reidmachine

Ahhhh. I give it six months, and you'll be back in there at least part time.

Two situations: #1-You'll get bored, and need something to kill time. Spare time is so much more rewarding when you don't have as much of it.

#2-Your (old)shop will get so busy that your boss will be *begging* you to come for at least a few days a week to help out, and you won't be able to say no.

I've seen it before, it will happen!

Reply to
Joe788

Bob, No part time even, or fill in when things pickup? Any plans for what to do after things settle down regarding Fran?

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Bob, You and Fran are welcome to stay here as a rest stop on the way.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

=========== Terrific insights into the actual conditions. One of the most informative surveys I have seen. The observation about new customers looking for more credit seems to be dead on.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

No room to put anyone up here, but if you're ever passing through Grass Valley, feel free to look me up.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I have been busy all year and it started to slow a little but then Monday I got hit with a big order of 100 manhours besides the work already in progress.

John

Reply to
john

Joe:

Actually, I'm leaving my tools at the shop for just such an eventuality. :)

Reply to
BottleBob

Steve:

Thanks, if I decide to take a trip to the arctic (Sam's place), I'll stop by.

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news:zv- dnRLO2bV6atvUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Novmeber and December have always been sort of slow. This year it is a little slower than usual. Not seeing as many RFQs either. The thing that I am worried about is 2 of my larger customers are getting behind on payments. One of them has reduced employee hours to 32.

Reply to
Alphonso

Steve:

Actually, things have been very busy at work. As far as part time; I wanted to retire last year but my boss really needed me so we came to an agreement that I'd continue working but with my hours cut down. I've probably been averaging 30 hours a week for well over a year.

If I can wean myself off newsgroups, I might try to write a little Sci-fi, as a hobby.

Reply to
BottleBob

Jon:

Thanks. I'll have to do a Google maps thing to see where Grass Valley is. :)

Reply to
BottleBob

Well keep us posted if you go that route. I'd sure give your first try a read. I've been a Sci-fi fan for over 40 years. One of my first, what got me really hooked, was Foundation Trilogy which I read in the 6th grade.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

I'll bet you haven't worked three months more or less this year Bob.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Jon:

The Foundation series hooked me as well. Asimov had such an effect on me that decades ago I named my Siamese cat Asimov. :)

Reply to
BottleBob

John:

Heh, it may APPEAR that way, since your time cruising by the shop was toward the end of my tapering off working period. Around the first of the year I was putting in more hours.

Actually, looking at one of my more recent check stubs it appears I averaged about 110 hours a month or 25 hours a week.

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news:zv- dnRLO2bV6atvUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Automotive is down about 40-50% as can be seen by the sales numbers of the automakers. Heavy duty is also dropping some. And because we and other *mobile parts makers in the area are slow, most of the local job shops are down more than considerably.

Reply to
Anthony

I remember that but you're right, I was around a lot less in the first half of the year. You know that the drive out there beat the crap out of my car. One of the shock towers even came unscrewed and a six month old roof delaminated. That was a little strange. I hope I-405 is high on the list for repairs. It's like driving 70-80 MPH along a rail road track since they turned both of the shoulders into traffic lanes.

You had some big months early on then

Hey listen Bob. I doubt I'll be seeing you before the holidays and perhaps not again. You, Fran and that predatory beast of yours have a Merry Chrismas, Happy New Year and enjoy what remains of your lives together. I hope it's long and relatively peaceful. Maybe one of these days Bongqueer will realize that your wife and the time you were able to spend to were worth a couple bucks an hour.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

The best things in life cannot be bought, and sadly, many people never figure that out...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

John:

Ya know, the increased handling ability of Corvettes compared to regular sedans comes at a price. That price being more road 'feel' and a stiffer ride.

Just the day before yesterday I ran over a sink hole that hit so hard I pulled into the slow lane waiting for the indications of a flat tire that I was almost sure was going to happen. But it didn't.

Thank you for those comments, and I wish you a Happy Holiday season as well. I'm sure we'll meet again.

I doubt very many employers would/could give me the flexibility that I've had where I am. We all have different priorities.

Reply to
BottleBob