Survey: Has the Economy Affected Your Shop?

wrote:

I've
You'd a been joinin wit da res a da retard folks ceptin ya haint done livin in da south.

Ahhhh. I give it six months, and you'll be back in there at least part time.
Two situations: #1-You'll get bored, and need something to kill time. Spare time is so much more rewarding when you don't have as much of it.
#2-Your (old)shop will get so busy that your boss will be *begging* you to come for at least a few days a week to help out, and you won't be able to say no.
I've seen it before, it will happen!
Joe788 wrote:

Joe:
    Actually, I'm leaving my tools at the shop for just such an eventuality. :)
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Congrats! So, what are you going to be doing with your newfound free time?
Jon

Suggest consider tossing Fran and the cat into the beloved corvette and hoof it on up this way or at least someplace come spring..

Bipolar Bear wrote:

BPB:          Is that an offer to put us up for the weekend? <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, You and Fran are welcome to stay here as a rest stop on the way.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

No room to put anyone up here, but if you're ever passing through Grass Valley, feel free to look me up.
Jon
Jon Anderson wrote:

Jon:
    Thanks. I'll have to do a Google maps thing to see where Grass Valley is. :)
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Garlicdude wrote:

Steve:
    Thanks, if I decide to take a trip to the arctic (Sam's place), I'll stop by.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Dew Point: 17 F / -8 C

Bipolar Bear wrote:

BPB:
    Son of a Bleach! It seems my "arctic" comment wasn't far off, eh? I was just grumbling yesterday because I had to put on a jacket when I went out, as it was "freezing out" actually, 52 degrees.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

19 degrees in GV this morning. I forgot to spritz the door seals on my truck with silicone spray, so had to wrestle some to get the door open. Then after getting kids off to school, got stuck in the driveway while trying to turn around. Both rear wheels smack dab in the middle of ice ruts. Fuggit, sky was clear, I knew it'd warm and soften in a couple hours. Gettin' too old for this crap. Cootamundra is looking better all the time. Gets cold, but almost never snows. They're sweating bullets over there now, while I'm freezing my nards off trying to clear the driveway. Sure wish I'd bagged one of the snow blowers I saw selling this summer dirt cheap. But winters have been so mild the past 5-6 years, I didn't see the value. No snow blowers for sale cheap now!
Jon

Actually it's fairly unusual to get much snow here but since we do have about 4in fresh as of it as of just a few minutes ago, and beings our driveway is gravel, appx 1/8 mile long, and also has a couple of fairly steep areas...
http://www.kalamaprecision.com/images/Hill%20to%20house%203.jpg
Anyways, already fired up the L235 Kubota 4wd this morn and re-fueled it--in a few minutes I'm gonna drive it down to the shop and hitch up a 3pt angle back blade...move most of it from the middle on over to the sides.

Bipolar Bear wrote:

Be nice to have a tractor, but gross overkill for me. My problem is my driveway's all uphill. Any time it gets above freezing, snow melts and runs down tire tracks, then freezes at night. It stays frozen until I get enough sun or rain to melt it off. Too much driveway to shovel anymore. One of my best friends from high school just died of heart failure. Spent 8 months training for a swim from Alcatraz to Aquatic Park, 1.2 miles in the SF bay. Made the swim and the next day, collapsed and died. I'm not in the shape he was in, so I'm rather leery of overexerting myself right now....
I come down the driveway to the far right, turn left. Soon as it starts turning, I yank on the parking brake to start the ass end swinging around, then pop the clutch and try to powerslide most of the rest of the way around. It's fun and works great when the snow is soft. This morning, well, can't win them all... Looks like you live in some right pretty country!
Jon

Visco, American, Green
3/32 inch diameter, American made nitrocellulose covered, water resistant fuse. Also called "cannon fuse", "hobby fuse", "wick", or "safety fuse." Burns at about 2.5 seconds per inch.

Jon Anderson wrote:

JA:
    Well I've been off for over a month, and what with visiting Fran and checking out condos (planning to purchase a foreclosure), throwing out old computers, vacuum cleaners, magazines, etc. etc. there has been a lot of drama in my life - but no free time as yet. :)
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, No part time even, or fill in when things pickup? Any plans for what to do after things settle down regarding Fran?
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

Steve:
    Actually, things have been very busy at work. As far as part time; I wanted to retire last year but my boss really needed me so we came to an agreement that I'd continue working but with my hours cut down. I've probably been averaging 30 hours a week for well over a year.

    If I can wean myself off newsgroups, I might try to write a little Sci-fi, as a hobby.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Well keep us posted if you go that route. I'd sure give your first try a read. I've been a Sci-fi fan for over 40 years. One of my first, what got me really hooked, was Foundation Trilogy which I read in the 6th grade.
Jon