Survey: Has the Economy Affected Your Shop?

Jon Anderson wrote:

Jon:
    The Foundation series hooked me as well. Asimov had such an effect on me that decades ago I named my Siamese cat Asimov. :)
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I'll bet you haven't worked three months more or less this year Bob.
JC
John R. Carroll wrote:

John:
    Heh, it may APPEAR that way, since your time cruising by the shop was toward the end of my tapering off working period. Around the first of the year I was putting in more hours.
    Actually, looking at one of my more recent check stubs it appears I averaged about 110 hours a month or 25 hours a week.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
wrote in message

I remember that but you're right, I was around a lot less in the first half of the year. You know that the drive out there beat the crap out of my car. One of the shock towers even came unscrewed and a six month old roof delaminated. That was a little strange. I hope I-405 is high on the list for repairs. It's like driving 70-80 MPH along a rail road track since they turned both of the shoulders into traffic lanes.

You had some big months early on then <G>
Hey listen Bob. I doubt I'll be seeing you before the holidays and perhaps not again. You, Fran and that predatory beast of yours have a Merry Chrismas, Happy New Year and enjoy what remains of your lives together. I hope it's long and relatively peaceful. Maybe one of these days Bongqueer will realize that your wife and the time you were able to spend to were worth a couple bucks an hour.
JC
John R. Carroll wrote:

The best things in life cannot be bought, and sadly, many people never figure that out...
Jon
John R. Carroll wrote:

John:
    Ya know, the increased handling ability of Corvettes compared to regular sedans comes at a price. That price being more road 'feel' and a stiffer ride.

    Just the day before yesterday I ran over a sink hole that hit so hard I pulled into the slow lane waiting for the indications of a flat tire that I was almost sure was going to happen. But it didn't.

    Thank you for those comments, and I wish you a Happy Holiday season as well. I'm sure we'll meet again.

    I doubt very many employers would/could give me the flexibility that I've had where I am. We all have different priorities.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

I'm in the same situation Bob. I've got a job where I have a TON of freedom. As long as I get the job done, and on time, they don't care when I'm there.
My Father just had a mild heart attack on Monday night(he's fine now after they put a stent in 'em). I've just had a buttload of work piled in my lap on Monday. The shop floor has almost NOTHING to do, while waiting for me to design these jobs. But the Boss kicked me out yesterday after he heard the news of my father and said the shop floor can wait, and the work will be here whenever I get back, be it tomorrow, or next week.
This is very typical for the shop I work for. VERY flexible. They understand you still NEED to live your life, and a flexible schedule makes for a far happier employee.
I could possibly get paid a few bucks more in another shop. But they just recently gave me a 5% raise. Even though the economy SUCKS, they understood that my pay wasn't enough compensation for the amount of responsibility thrown at me. I get a better 401K match than most shops. I also don't have to pay a penny for health insurance.
I've been here for almost 12 years now. I was their 1st employee, and the owners want me to take over the business in 10 years when they get sick of working for a living(their words, not mine).
Steve Mackay wrote:

Steve:
    Jeeze, sorry to hear about your dad. It looks like they caught it in time. Gunner has had a stent for years and he's pretty active, so I would think your dad's recovery should be fine. Just don't give him any banzai rides on the back of your bike. :)

    Now that's the kind of employer attitude that makes you want to go the extra mile for them.

    Glad to see that there are still a few shops out there that value loyalty from both the employee and employer's standpoint.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I don't know about anybody else, but I need a damn break. I was hoping the economy would emplode and we would all slow down at the same time. Now I'm brainwashed into working all the hours I can just in case the work runs out. I think we are all being trolled into slavery.
I do notice there's no new equipment in the future. That kinda scares me a little bit. Nothings getting fixed or replaced, no new process being made, no new equipment being looked at. Nobody's getting hired, nobody's quitting, nothing's getting cleaned? No training, no apprentices, etc... No walls getting painted, no bug man coming round spraying.... Nobody is buying any personal tools. Even the computers havn't been upgraded, nor the software. Across the board.
Oh well, can't worry about it. All we can do is our best, always try to learn more, and teach the younger guys so they don't grow up to be so damn ignorant. lol (yea...generation x friggen knows it all!!! there..I SAID IT!!!)
vinny@work wrote:

Vinny:
    They're probably being cautious and saving their pennies for a possible rainy day, just like you are. As long as the shop's busy, that's what counts.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I'm not hearing from some of the regular folks right now, have been getting some interesting RFQ's though.
"D"
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 05:01:37 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote: <snip>

<snip> ==========Terrific insights into the actual conditions. One of the most informative surveys I have seen. The observation about new customers looking for more credit seems to be dead on.
BottleBob wrote:

I have been busy all year and it started to slow a little but then Monday I got hit with a big order of 100 manhours besides the work already in progress.
John

Novmeber and December have always been sort of slow. This year it is a little slower than usual. Not seeing as many RFQs either. The thing that I am worried about is 2 of my larger customers are getting behind on payments. One of them has reduced employee hours to 32.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Automotive is down about 40-50% as can be seen by the sales numbers of the automakers. Heavy duty is also dropping some. And because we and other *mobile parts makers in the area are slow, most of the local job shops are down more than considerably.
--
Anthony