Survey: Is Your Cell Phone Your Only Phone?

To All:
I've got a couple of friends whose only home phone service is cell
phone service. I was wondering how common that was.
[ ] Have home land-line phone service only.
[ ] Have cell phone service only.
[ ] Have both land-line AND cell phone service at home.
Other:
Comments:
Reply to
BottleBob
Recently did away with home phone.
Tom
Reply to
brewertr
Also just added wireless link for computer/internet [100-150k baud]
F. George McDuffee
And it is a Southwestern Bell Styleline wall ROTARY phone. Been in service for 32+ years (installed when we moved into the house). Also have Bell Telephone (black desktop) in the spare bedroom that came from my folks house. I bet that phone is older than me and I'm 62.
Reply to
alphonso
Alphonso:
Jeeze, are we the only two dinosaurs that don't have cell phones? LOL
Reply to
BottleBob
\ I heard cell phones are killing off the bees in America. I guess it screws up their gps and they can't find their way home.
Cell phones suck. They took away the ability to easily ignore people. Now if you don't answer your cell phone it's presumed your ignoring the person. That's the main reason I don't have one.
Reply to
vinny
Our home phone sys consists of an older Merlin key system 510 which can handle up to 10 CO lines and 30 extensions--though currently its only carded for 5 lines and 20 extensions.
Ext 10~19 are the merlin atl phones, and ex 20 ~ 29 are carded with ring generator and setup for use with for plain old telephones ( handy for use where a twisted pair already exists and fairly difficult to install a new 4 pair cable )
Line 1 is land line for residence
Line 2 is land line for shop
Line 3 is direct line to the shop phone sys ( a nother Merlin pbx but is only a 410 ) via a Teltone TLS-3 line simulator ( this patch allows calls to be placed between shop and house without tying up both of the land lines )
Line 4 is overhead page-3 speaker zones can be accessed singly or together in combination, its tied into the old Nu-tone intercom speakers.
Line 5 is for security and alarm sys it also is connected to one of the the shop phone lines, but not gonna get in to any great detail here as what all hardware is conneted to that line but the below should give an idea :
Jeffrey Lebowski
Look it up on the PBS site. I watched the program about a year ago and it included the big bee convention in Oz. Interesting piece as it explored some of the actual consequences. This could get ugly very quickly. It is already I guess. The cell phone thing is bogus.
One of the big Ag colleges has been working like a bastard with the industry to screen for the virus on one hand and find a way to eradicate it on the other.
Whoever says PBS isn't worth every penny is dead wrong.
Reply to
John R. Carroll

Produce and fruit farmers is killing off the bees with their goddamned indiscriminate pesticide use fuckem they can whine all they want but its themselves causing the problem and I dont feel sorry for them one bit, around here we constantly have escaped colonies as well as wild ones....perfectly healthy they take up residence in the tree trunks attics wood fences etc
Easy enough to just turn it off if you don't want to be bothered.
Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski
----- Original Message ----- From: "John R. Carroll" Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:58 PM Subject: Re: Survey: Is Your Cell Phone Your Only Phone?
Thanks I'll look into it.
Agreed--( and esp so during the friggen telethon )
Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski
The mites carry the virus IRRC
Gunner
Reply to
Gunner
I saw on the news today that this camp has now grown pretty big. I wasn't paying attention but the number I remember hearing was either six or sixty thousand. I realize there is a big difference but either number is a long way from the 300 that were living there six weeks ago. I do know that last February there were 35 homes sold in foreclosure auctions in Riverside County and that this February there were 1350 that actually sold for the month and another 100 or more that didn't.
Seen any of this?
Reply to
John R. Carroll
My wife refuses to have a cell phone. I like mine.
Reply to
sittingduck
No
We've had a few lumber mill closures but those folks layed off went onto the unemployment rolls IIRC say six months ago or so no prob at this point though might be later.
Real estate is kinda crashing here as to the higher end homes that were built on speculation other than that the average sale price has dropped maybe 20% in the last couple year--to be expected as they were overpriced pretty much anyone would agree.
Crack houses on the wrong side of the tracks still show up over in Longview / Kelso Craigslist ( btw nice little airstrip there ) going for 55 ~ 80 K though GOOD LUCK cause probly not gonna find anything but perhaps a 2 acre building plot near me me here in Kalama for under 120,000
Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski
Well I spose maybe it simply too cold up here in winter--better to migrate south say to Ontario or somesuch.
Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski
John:
That was a pretty drastic example of thread drift. What do homeless enclaves have to do with bee viruses, or mites? Other than the homeless are living crammed together like an insect hive. LOL
Reply to
BottleBob
IMO John has paid his dues and so if he wants to change subject in the middle then fine with me.
I blame the current situation directly upon our federal government which has so far displayed a complete lack of effective domestic economic policy towards benefitting the middle and lower economic classes.
Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT
Yeah, I guess, but I thought maybe Gunner would see it and respond. He has a pretty short attention span you know. He also spends his week in Ontario so anything that size should be something he's seen.
Reply to
John R. Carroll
The sound quality on the land line is much better than my cell in my location.
Wes
Reply to
clutch
I work midnights. Phone is always on vibrate as to not awaken me during my sleep period. Sorry, phone on vibrate, didn't notice your call. Feel free to improvise from there.
Wes
Reply to
clutch