The dangers of wearing shorts in a machine shop

I remember way back in trade scholl long sleeves were a no-no. they could get caught in machinery, especially lathes.
High top shoes, with long pants do keep chips out of your shoes.
That is one of my favorite things with my VMC all the chips and coolant stay inside. unlike my manual machines that throw chips far and wide.

Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
bytecolor wrote:

Bytecolor:
    Not a personal jab? That's good, far be it from me to juxtapose "byte" with "me". Just kidding. LOL
    The relative safety of wearing shorts would probably depend on the risk factors of a particular shop. I've seen shops where you could probably go barefoot without mishap, and I've seen other shops where you almost need an environmental suit or body armor to survive the experience. <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Well, ( moving upwards a notch or three on the "absurdity" level )...thinking here about maybe opening up a shop that's strictly for nudists......
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:
> > rule?

Yeah, that's it, a "no thong" rule!
Cheers! Dave G.
Dave Gee wrote:

Come on, people may not wish to see you without your thong.
thanks,
K. Gringioni.

I actually had a nudist colony as a customer when I was in the electrical business. They let us wear our toolkits of course. One of our guys bought the darkest sunglasses he could find! It is rather dangerous working on electrical equipment while two girls are playing ping pong in the nude right along side you.
Gary H. Lucas

Curious, they got any rules concerning visable buttcrack ?
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

I have a concealed buttcrack permit.

It's open carry here...and ther wimmen folk of all ages seem to love it, too
--
SVL

Bill Roberto wrote:

I think if you offered to double everyone's rate in return for them wearing shorts when it gets over 35C, you'd still have everyone wearing pants.
Disc grinders spit nasty sparks (everywhere). Panels and scrap chutes on the floor, on the dies, against the wall, etc. Sharp edges on pads, trim steels, and unchamfered castings. Floors covered in chips from the machine shop (chips by the tonne off the castings). Welding done wherever there's room...
For certain work, we are covered head to toe with basically nothing showing, even when it's blistering. Overhead grinding with carbide burrs on hardened steel, for instance.
I can't imagine it would be worthwile to enforce a no-pants rule in a shop full of fully enclosed machines, however.
Regards,
Robin
Robin S. wrote:

I'd take it. But I'd add an extension to my apron! :) Randy
Bill Roberto wrote:

Bill,
I doubt it's an OSHA rule as my employer offers shorts in it's uniform option for all employees who work on the floor - and we sling a LOT of hot iron chips around. <g> -- Bill
Ya know what ?
When you work for someone, they make the rules.
If you want to wear shorts, mortgage your own house to go into business yourself.
JMO
Well, depending on its angle of entry, one COULD be hit in the leg by a meteorite..... Usually when I run into some stupid rule or procedure I just go along with the request on the outside, but on the inside I try to imagine what might be a logical reason for the stupidity. In this case I might think to myself "Well of course they want me to wear long pants, my penis is so long its probably visible below the cuff of my shorts and they were too embarrased to say so, NOW it all makes sense."
Bill Roberto wrote:

Charlie Gary wrote:

Reminds me of seeing a welding operation in rural China a few years ago....All the guys welding were in shorts (and most in sandals) and worked in a squatting position on the floor. The front of all their legs looked like the skin of a 200 year old man.
The welding machines were interesting too..bare transformers with a series of taps to clamp the cable to.
Koz
Bill Roberto wrote:

Bill-- Unfortunatly sometimes rules like this are the direct result of the Insuranace Companies involved. Whether needed or not they like to flex thier muscle and say do it because I said so!
Neal
A shop with no AC? Wow! Anyway, I don't believe its a OSHA rule cause there are many shops that I have visited where people are wearing shorts.
gary
Bill Roberto wrote:

How do they expect me to treat them like professionals if they can't even

Kirk, You'd like my dad. When he was running the electrical business he always wore work clothes. He'd go to these meetings at a customer's plant and everyone would be in a suit, including our competitors. then they'd go look at the scope of the work, and dad would crawl under things to see what he really needed to know, or pull out a screwdriver and take covers off. As a result he already knew more about the job, and this frequently got us the work.
One thing I disagreed with him on. He never once went to lunch or dinner with a customer. I learned later that people didn't just hire you because your product or service was great. They also made their decision about how they felt about you personally. One time dad came with me to a trade show. He complained that I spent too much time talking to each person that came into the booth, and some people would even walk away. I explained to him that I use to work like mad to speak to everyone, and at the end of the day I had a hundred leads, but no sales. I had learned that the guy who stuck around the booth for half an hour or more was going to buy. He was essentially confirming his decision to buy from us, and not someone else. Dad got into it though. When he saw someone getting ready to walk away he'd go over and tell them that I always gave everyone as much time as they needed, and they'd get the same if they waited just a little longer, or came back later. We sold a lot of stuff at shows.
Gary H. Lucas

Ya, whatever....if you say so, man....
--
SVL