The dangers of wearing shorts in a machine shop

Or tripping and lacerating your legs.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

I kneeled down once under a multiplex and placed my fist on floor for support. Lacerated the heck out of one knuckle from a steel curly on the floor. Boy did that knuckle bleed.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Bill,

I doubt it's an OSHA rule as my employer offers shorts in it's uniform option for all employees who work on the floor - and we sling a LOT of hot iron chips around.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ya know what ?

When you work for someone, they make the rules.

If you want to wear shorts, mortgage your own house to go into business yourself.

JMO

Reply to
jimz

Well, depending on its angle of entry, one COULD be hit in the leg by a meteorite..... Usually when I run into some stupid rule or procedure I just go along with the request on the outside, but on the inside I try to imagine what might be a logical reason for the stupidity. In this case I might think to myself "Well of course they want me to wear long pants, my penis is so long its probably visible below the cuff of my shorts and they were too embarrased to say so, NOW it all makes sense."

Bill Roberto wrote:

Reply to
George

x?URMoÛ0 ½ëWðÔ^²¬Ça-zX?­vZì¬?ET?Zà?ÒI?E?? !|¡?á'?°)ù±âçðDÏw³>Â÷?î?>Òó»éÿ7H`Yaà¥?BåLà ?±$n*`¥f´?ÿÁ?`?!Ê $wq¯Ø,£ÀÑ, [??iâV(?¦¨b­X 2ë¾q3;?àÀe¼Á?krª\4ÁÎQ¬z!!?8åCå?8ó 'b´oàzq??rQ®mî· ¸Ëúè÷X¨z¸ß~ã&ç?Å 0!fÈôæêì·(£¯Ñ÷f?Duãf?@?1ù¦?Dó¼@¡KZY?Nwpê6½èõ?} 'Ñpvõ®#²?? VîQ/úi?&¸Ôòq÷&BmXc3??ÆwÎ_¹Ü+?rÜTF`?Ì}5ß/«e4¸»D??kZw¶cSÚ'#¾¢4¼mv±´£ùA.?± ú?²?³?eg¼uôR`aÛ&ÚX?? Tæ½K¿Q±íþ}·ó?b?!ül?

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Reminds me of seeing a welding operation in rural China a few years ago....All the guys welding were in shorts (and most in sandals) and worked in a squatting position on the floor. The front of all their legs looked like the skin of a 200 year old man.

The welding machines were interesting too..bare transformers with a series of taps to clamp the cable to.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

If you want to be obnoxious with this approach you can get three pairs in three colors and mix them up.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Knuckles are amazingly good bleeders. I think slitting your wrist might bleed less. I was once working on something up on a man lift. Doing just fine until someone distracted me by telling me to be careful. Promptly gouged a knuckle and started leaking like a sieve. I was cupping my other hand under it while walking down the hall to the bathroom to clean and bandage it and my cupped hand was starting to overflow. Paper towels and electrical tape took care of it and I was back to what I had been doing in short order after cleaning up all my drips.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Bill-- Unfortunatly sometimes rules like this are the direct result of the Insuranace Companies involved. Whether needed or not they like to flex thier muscle and say do it because I said so!

Neal

Reply to
Neal

A shop with no AC? Wow! Anyway, I don't believe its a OSHA rule cause there are many shops that I have visited where people are wearing shorts.

gary

Bill Roberto wrote:

Reply to
g-a-r-y

I'm glad I wasn't sipping anything when I read this or my keyboard would be inop.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Bill, I worked in a greenhouse in Florida once which was really hot and humid. After a forklift driver hit the side of a building trying to drive through an overhead doorway they finally wised up. They banned the women in the greenhouse from wearing G strings to work! However quite a few were still wearing tee shirts soaking wet and no bras.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

I actually had a nudist colony as a customer when I was in the electrical business. They let us wear our toolkits of course. One of our guys bought the darkest sunglasses he could find! It is rather dangerous working on electrical equipment while two girls are playing ping pong in the nude right along side you.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

And a pair of non-matching shoes, ( that are WAY too big )....along with "Groucho Marx" style grease-painted moustache and eyebrows.....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Many years ago, working at Certified Aerospace on a graveyard shift and I cut my hand....not real bad, still...it was bleeding rather freely..

Well, everyone knows if you hold your arm in the air then it bleeds less....follows if you hold it down, bleeds more...

But, hold it down and swing it back and forth quickly...and BLOOD GOES EVERYWHERE !!!!

So.....I slowly start towards the restroom so as to bandage it, swinging my arm the whole way...leaving a very nice trail......

Anyways, got a phone call at home the next morning, asking if I was okay....

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

The guys didnt take up a collection to fix the door and keep the G strings?

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

I'd take it. But I'd add an extension to my apron! :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

Kirk, You'd like my dad. When he was running the electrical business he always wore work clothes. He'd go to these meetings at a customer's plant and everyone would be in a suit, including our competitors. then they'd go look at the scope of the work, and dad would crawl under things to see what he really needed to know, or pull out a screwdriver and take covers off. As a result he already knew more about the job, and this frequently got us the work.

One thing I disagreed with him on. He never once went to lunch or dinner with a customer. I learned later that people didn't just hire you because your product or service was great. They also made their decision about how they felt about you personally. One time dad came with me to a trade show. He complained that I spent too much time talking to each person that came into the booth, and some people would even walk away. I explained to him that I use to work like mad to speak to everyone, and at the end of the day I had a hundred leads, but no sales. I had learned that the guy who stuck around the booth for half an hour or more was going to buy. He was essentially confirming his decision to buy from us, and not someone else. Dad got into it though. When he saw someone getting ready to walk away he'd go over and tell them that I always gave everyone as much time as they needed, and they'd get the same if they waited just a little longer, or came back later. We sold a lot of stuff at shows.

Gary H. Lucas

Reply to
Gary H. Lucas

Ya, whatever....if you say so, man....