The Future Of Machining

It might be both adding and taking away:
http://lnkd.in/bprNNXH

I think its all about the materials.
The bronze age dictated a lot of forging. The wood age dictated a lot of sawing. The steel age dictated a lot of grinding. The composite age will dictate a lot of welding.
The material changes, then the market changes, then the tools change. We are in a transition from steel to who knows what. weird...plastic didnt even exist during the life of some people still alive. We think we live in an era where its all been done, its all been invented, and the only thing left to do is tweak what we already have. Just like EVERY generation before us.
Whats is different now than at any other time is we are creating the grain structure in our materials. Up till now we had to use the grain, working around the grain... not anymore. we are putting the grain in materials as we make them. Thats a pretty big deal.

I think it's all about rethinking traditional approaches and coming up with new and better solutions. Whether we are talking machining, CADCAM or how machinists/CADCAM programmers communicate, everything is changing like it's never changed before.
Hybrid machining is most likely the way forward rather than just 3D printing/additive manufacturing.

The way I really feel is pretty negative. I feel skill level for machinists is dropping, and has been since the 50's. The equipment is getting smarter and we are getting dumber. And considering America is out front, its the products thats will change, not us or the equipment, or even the process. The finished product will become simpler. You can see it in the grocery store already. Go to the shampoo isle. Notice there's a bunch of different shampoo's....but then notice there's only a few different bottle designs. 20 years ago every bottle on the shelf was different.
On Tuesday, 31 December 2013 19:12:26 UTC, Jon Banquer wrote:

daft. you can weld bits if you have to. or even better turn then mill.
looks cool to outsiders, you are a sucker for hype.
DanP
snipped-for-privacy@away.com says...

http://www.mmsonline.com/columns/when-things-go-together
?There has been a lot of discussion about the future of additive manufacturing and the potential that it will replace traditional material removal processes,? he said. ?DMG Mori Seiki sees the two technologies as complementary, ultimately increasing our customers? ability to produce new and more complex components. In November, manufacturers will have the chance to learn more about our approach to additive/subtractive production and our machines of the future at Manufacturing Days in Davis, California.?