VFD Drill Press Modification

I wonder if this modified VFD drill press gives up torque on the low end with big drills? I like the idea of doing this if you don't sacrifice
torque on the low end. Maybe the answer is a bigger motor than stock so you don't lose low end torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFPX1pW3Sl8

On 02/01/2014 02:05, Jon Banquer wrote:

Depends on the technology in the drive. Vector drives are reasonable for torque to an extent. Some higher end drive allow full closed loop with an encoder and are much better.
On 02/01/2014 02:05, Jon Banquer wrote:

Depends on the technology in the drive. Vector drives are reasonable for torque to an extent. Some higher end drive allow full closed loop with an encoder and are much better.
Jon Banquer wrote:

You still lose torque at the low end, compared to a pulley reduction. The motor can only produce about rated torque at any speed below rated speed. A belt reduction increases torque by the reduction ratio. The only way to get around that is to use a much larger motor to be able to deliver the needed torque for large drills at very low speeds, without changing belts.
Jon