Thermal Expansion

Scott wrote:

Kudos to you for being honest enough to admit it.
--
Black Dragon

Hollerith, v:

Explains why he's been in my bozo bin pretty much forever.

You can use a Bluhm laser set on the table to check the tool at speed before finishing at final Z-depths or between parts.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
JL wrote:

Another question would be how much wear your z axis might have in the travel range you are working in. After running many long hours in a couple of inch range, like in making patterns, the z axis "wear" could possibly be eccentric. I don't have a Haas, but with a Cincy vertical mill there is a z axis counter balance cylinder that could be screwing up. There could be a ton of reasons for seeing less that a thou shift.
--

Michael Gailey
3D Laser Scanning, Digital Object Reproduction

Too bad you don't have the Renishaw probe setup, you can integrate the macros right into the program and tool-offset all the tools in a few seconds at the beginning of every program.
My suggestion would be to run the machine full-time or at least start it running 4-6 hours before you need to run parts. Adjusting your shift schedule sounds like a good idea in this case.