Turn + groove combination tools.

I have a 6061 turned part that I want to make more efficient.
The OD is produced by turning with an 80 insert, then plunging with
an indexable cutoff tool, then using a small grooving tool to finish and sharpen corners. 1.5" bar, with stepping diameters down to 0.395".
I'd like to replace these three operations with a Kennametal A4 turn/ groove tool.
I see that the turning feed and DOC are a fair amount less than that of a proper 80 insert (0.004-0.006IPR, 1/16" radial DOC at 800-2500FPM).
I'll be plunging to do the major roughing, and some turning to finish. Also going to use the tool for cutoff as the tool's holder will have a bar puller. This will eliminate about 5 or 6 toolchanges (6.4sec/ change, 2.5min cycle time previously).
Anyway, has/does anyone use these things? Any comments? Likes/ dislikes? Favorite manufacturers/product lines? Just want some 1st hand insight before spending $350 on holder + inserts.
Regards,
Robin
Robin S. wrote:

Robin, I've had good luck with the Kennametal A4 turn/groove tools. I've used them to put cooling grooves in round mold inserts as well as other things.
I suggest watching MSC for a bargain on an A4 kit.
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Dave W. Kennametal Application Support ------------------------------------- Garlicdude wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.polytechforum.com/ Metalworking Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.machines.cnc - 38715 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##