Turn + groove combination tools.

I have a 6061 turned part that I want to make more efficient.

The OD is produced by turning with an 80=BA insert, then plunging with an indexable cutoff tool, then using a small grooving tool to finish and sharpen corners. 1.5" bar, with stepping diameters down to 0.395".

I'd like to replace these three operations with a Kennametal A4 turn/ groove tool.

I see that the turning feed and DOC are a fair amount less than that of a proper 80=BA insert (0.004-0.006IPR, 1/16" radial DOC at

800-2500FPM).

I'll be plunging to do the major roughing, and some turning to finish. Also going to use the tool for cutoff as the tool's holder will have a bar puller. This will eliminate about 5 or 6 toolchanges (6.4sec/ change, 2.5min cycle time previously).

Anyway, has/does anyone use these things? Any comments? Likes/ dislikes? Favorite manufacturers/product lines? Just want some 1st hand insight before spending $350 on holder + inserts.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Robin, I've had good luck with the Kennametal A4 turn/groove tools. I've used them to put cooling grooves in round mold inserts as well as other things.

I suggest watching MSC for a bargain on an A4 kit.

Reply to
Garlicdude

dwolfhope had written this in response to

: Robin, Yes the A4 will be a good tool for your application. For turning and profiling, the max depth of cut is 1/2 your insert width for most materials. For easy to machine materials feeds can be increased up to 1.5 times of what is listed in the catalogs. Kennametals Customer Application Support can help you with the proper holder and insert selection.

Dave W. Kennametal Applicati> Rob>> I have a 6061 turned part that I want to make more efficient.

Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.machines.cnc - 38715 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
dwolfhope