Help with milling tools ID please

Hi, I got a huge lot of machining and milling tools at an auction,
unfortunately I don't know a thing about them. Could anyone help me
with ID Descriptions of these items? thanks in advance!
1-

2-

4-

5-

leeana
It is called a tap, used for making nuts. Looks like a pipe tap, though it is hard to say. Find out what pipe size it is for, even by just going to home depot and trying it on different pipes.
Ignoramus30651
#1. Is not! Alien anal probe...right handed! #2. Goth cheek implants. (Upper or lower) #3. Carbide tipped belly-button piercer for teen-aged girls. #4. Dental tools for hamsters. #5. Square pegs for Gunner's round holes
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Sorry, I thought I came to a group that would help me out. I'll look elsewhere for the answers to my questi> > > >> Hi, I got a huge lot of machining and milling tools at an auction,
Reply to
leeana
1. if you cannot stand sarcasm, stay away from newsgroups.
number 2 - look in kennemetal catalog number 3 - dead center number 4 - indexable boring bars number 5 - carbide tipped cutters.
only number 4 is likely to be worth more than a dollar or two
Reply to
William Noble
#1 is a large pipe tap. Measure the diameter, the pipe size is about 3/8" smaller than what you measure. Should be marked on the side, expect to see something like 2" NPT or similar.
#2 Are indexable carbide tool holders, I don't recognize the exact configuration. Probably used on a larger turning center.
#3 is a dead center, used on a lathe, probably Morse taper. Should be marked with a number from 1 to 5, looks like a #3 or so.
#4 is a collection of boring bars with indexable carbide cutters, used on a lathe or a boring head on a milling machine. Measure the diameter and length.
#5 is a collection of brazed carbide insert lathe tooling. Measure the bar dimension to get an idea of what size they are. Exepct to see dimentions like 1/2", 3/8", etc.
Whole collection looks like the consumables for a larger manual lathe.
leeana wrote:
Reply to
RoyJ
Roy, thanks so much for your help!
RoyJ wrote:
Reply to
leeana
No, no...just having fun off the main thread. You'll get perfect answers here, looks like Royj filled out the list. I thought my list was more fun, tell me you didn't smile...
Reply to
Tom Gardner
Interested in selling the boring bars?
Let me know and we'll go from there.
Reply to
Papa
For a sense of humor, try McMaster-Carr, they have everything. Get as good a one as you can afford. Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt
According to leeana :
A large pipe thread tap. The name "RIGID" is normally associated with pipe threading and wrenches. It should have the size stamped into the shank.
Kennametal parting/grooving insert holders which mount on rather large bars which are not included in the photo. Get a copy of the MSC catalog and look there for what they fit.
That is a Morse taper center -- with what looks like a carbide tip. I've got no clue as to the size -- but I *think* that it is too large for any lathe that I own.
Boring bars -- as your photo name suggests -- mostly carbide insert type. Some look too large for my lathe, though the smallest three or four may work. You really should include a 6" or 12" scale (ruler) in the photo to give an idea of sizes.
Brazed carbide insert lathe tools. All seem to be left-hand ones -- less commonly used than the right-hand ones. Again, how about hints as to the size?
Certainly we don't have enough information available as is for you to have a chance of re-selling them, which I presume is your intention.
Reply to
DoN. Nichols
#1 is a pipe tap #2 is an indexable something or other (check other posts) #3 is a morse taper dead center, possibly with a carbide tip #4 are indexable lathe boring bars, large size #5 are AL (style A, left handed) brazed carbide lathe tools, C5 grade carbide, 7/16" shank Hint: on that one all of the info is in the number AL7C5--AL is tool style, 7 is shank size in 16ths of an inch, C5 is a grade of carbide, the only other one you would see is C2.
These all appear to be lathe tools, but they could vary from a large CNC turning center (#2 and some #4) to #5 which could be used on a relatively small bench lathe.
Hope this info helps clarify what the other posts said. ww88
leeana wrote:
Reply to
woodworker88
inserts. For turning on a lathe.
Brazed carbide turning tools, for a lathe.
So, no milling anything here, but all except #1 are for use with lathes, pretty exclusively.
I might have some interest in some of the boring bars, are you going to sell this stuff on eBay when you get it sorted out?
Jon
Reply to
Jon Elson
HI, yes, I was going to list them on Ebay. I also have a New Kennametal indexable boring bar that retailed for over $100 (looked up the part number on J & L) that I'm going to be listing. Also, sorry everyone for not having a sense of humor that day, had a lot going on in the family, I'm usually a lot of fun, really! Thanks everyone! Leeana Papa wrote:
Reply to
leeana