How dangerous is cadmium in Silver Solder?

I'm still working on figuring out how to reliably join carbide to steel. I found a vendor that recommended 56% silver was the way to go
and having cadmium in it would be even better except for the health risks. He could supply either but for now, I ordered the no cadmium solder.
I read did the wiki on cadmium and it didn't seem like something I want around me but like many things I wonder if the warnings match up with the actual likely hood of a real health risk.
I worked for a company that made asbestos once which while it isn't good stuff health wise, I am fairly sure most plaintiffs were not harmed to the degree claimed so color me skeptical about some warnings.
Wes S
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

How much did you pay for that brazing rod? I went to a welding supply house a few days ago and the guy sold me a pre-fluxed rod (ONE OF THEM)with 56% silver for about $16. I asked for something to braze stainless to brass.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

I just bought 5 oz. spool of 16 ga. for $123.00 No cheap but no choice...gota' have it.
Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:

I tended to buy my silver solder from mcmaster carr... just checked and prices are still $80-90 for 5 troy ounces of the common alloys. 1 oz coils $18-25 too for those who don't need the quantity.
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:41:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Blanket dire warnings are encouraged by lawyers to shield sellers from litigation by the foolish, careless and stupid who won't heed instructions or use good practice for safe use. Cd-bearing silver solder has been used in industry for decades and is still widely used. Cadmium is toxic. So is lead. Just provide ample ventilation, keep your nose out of the fumes (duh!), don't overheat, and wash your hands before eating or smoking -- sound practices with any soldering, brazing or welding activities.
Cadmium is useful because it makes the molten alloy "wet" significantly better.
Blanket dire warnings are worse than real ones for stupid people
they mask the real hazards
I'm not worried about the pinch rollers crushing my fingers in a TIG welder cause it doesnt have any or being stabbed by the wire feed I am worried about eye protection not about how LOUD it is (Unless the welder and welding is louder than 85 db its not a hearing danger)
Don't warn me on my welder that working in a body shop could harm my hearing there is a time and place fore real warnings and a time and place fore blanket garbage warnings
then again most people with any intelligence shouldnt need most of these warnings anyhow Don Foreman wrote:

Cadmium is a problem mostly for people who have long-term exposure to the fumes or to incidental ingestion, with water or contaminated food. Smokers start off in the hole, with (typically) 4 times as much cadmium in their blood as non-smokers.
But the big deal is living downwind of plants that spew the stuff in the air. Some coal contains a lot of it.
It will eat your kidneys and your bones. But I use it, and have about two pounds of cadmium-bearing brazing metal left. I intend to continue using it as long as it lasts, with good ventilation.
-- Ed Huntress

I've been casting lead bullets for years and nasty ole lead hasn't caused me any harm yet. I've always used good hygiene when casting and don't run higher than needed temperatures.
As far as smoking, gave that up in 1986. Should have pink lungs by now.
So as long as I use cadmium bearing silver solder with a fume hood, wash my hands and don't do a volume operation, it sounds like something else will get me first.
Wes S
Wes S
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:26:19 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Yes, if you don't use the Cad stuff, and a tip comes off, IT could get you first. I say use what you KNOW works, and just make sure you take the correct precautions.

Wes, as long as you don't overheat and BOIL the entire package of SS off, there is very little risk. Heat until the flux flows (at a low red heat) then dab the SS wire on the joint. For carb. chips I flatten a bit and cut off a piece and lay it in the joint with plenty of black flux (high heat flux-it's the only kind to have). Do the heat as quickly as possible. The SS will flow into the joint in a flash. Your done. Soak in hot tap water to clean. RichD
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Thank you for the clear instructions and comments.
Wes S
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

I kinda go along with Brent concerning all the warnings nowadays-- YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE INTELLIGENCE !!
On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:41:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

if you read back in model engineer (a magazine out of england) there are a number of fatal accidents reported in model engineers who overheated cadmium bearing silver solders.
evidently the cadmium becomes a fine white cloud of particles in the air and inhaling it is fatal.
Stealth Pilot
Stealth Pilot wrote:

I've got a fair pile of ME mags that I have been through repeatedly, and that's a new one on me. Got some dates, issue numbers?
The way the old bats there can beat a subject to death in the letters column, I figure if there was a death that related to cadmium, they'd have a full page dire warning in every issue.
These days, a model engineer dying while working in the shop is almost a given, when you look at the demographics (it's a bunch of old farts).
Cheers Trevor Jones

Which reminds me of something I was reading at work a couple of months ago. It was an argument, presented in graphics, that the prevalence and death rates for cardiovascular disease actually had been flat for a couple of decades, trying to imply that little progress had been made in controlling it. Then it struck me -- they're still dying from it, but they're about ten years older when they die from it now. <g>
"Read carefully," it says here in small print...
-- Ed Huntress
Ed Huntress wrote:

A favorite quote of mine.
Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal can be fascinating, but what they conceal might be critical.
Cheers Trevor Jones

Aha. I'll keep that one. d8-)
-- Ed Huntress

next meeting and access to the library is next wednesday. I'll see if the index points me to it.
Stealth Pilot
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:14:54 +0900, Stealth Pilot

Overheating gasoline can also be quickly fatal.
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 21:14:54 +0900, Stealth Pilot

Not immediately fatal unless a very large dose.