How dangerous is cadmium in Silver Solder?

I'm still working on figuring out how to reliably join carbide to steel. I found a vendor that recommended 56% silver was the way to go and having cadmium in it would be even better except for the health risks. He could supply either but for now, I ordered the no cadmium solder.

I read did the wiki on cadmium and it didn't seem like something I want around me but like many things I wonder if the warnings match up with the actual likely hood of a real health risk.

I worked for a company that made asbestos once which while it isn't good stuff health wise, I am fairly sure most plaintiffs were not harmed to the degree claimed so color me skeptical about some warnings.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

How much did you pay for that brazing rod? I went to a welding supply house a few days ago and the guy sold me a pre-fluxed rod (ONE OF THEM)with 56% silver for about $16. I asked for something to braze stainless to brass.

Reply to
Gary Brady

Blanket dire warnings are encouraged by lawyers to shield sellers from litigation by the foolish, careless and stupid who won't heed instructions or use good practice for safe use. Cd-bearing silver solder has been used in industry for decades and is still widely used. Cadmium is toxic. So is lead. Just provide ample ventilation, keep your nose out of the fumes (duh!), don't overheat, and wash your hands before eating or smoking -- sound practices with any soldering, brazing or welding activities.

Cadmium is useful because it makes the molten alloy "wet" significantly better.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Reply to
RichD

Blanket dire warnings are worse than real ones for stupid people

they mask the real hazards

I'm not worried about the pinch rollers crushing my fingers in a TIG welder cause it doesnt have any or being stabbed by the wire feed I am worried about eye protection not about how LOUD it is (Unless the welder and welding is louder than 85 db its not a hearing danger)

Don't warn me on my welder that working in a body shop could harm my hearing there is a time and place fore real warnings and a time and place fore blanket garbage warnings

then aga> On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:41:17 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote: >

Reply to
Brent

I just bought 5 oz. spool of 16 ga. for $123.00 No cheap but no choice...gota' have it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Cadmium is a problem mostly for people who have long-term exposure to the fumes or to incidental ingestion, with water or contaminated food. Smokers start off in the hole, with (typically) 4 times as much cadmium in their blood as non-smokers.

But the big deal is living downwind of plants that spew the stuff in the air. Some coal contains a lot of it.

It will eat your kidneys and your bones. But I use it, and have about two pounds of cadmium-bearing brazing metal left. I intend to continue using it as long as it lasts, with good ventilation.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I kinda go along with Brent concerning all the warnings nowadays-- YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE INTELLIGENCE !!

Reply to
Jerry Wass

I've been casting lead bullets for years and nasty ole lead hasn't caused me any harm yet. I've always used good hygiene when casting and don't run higher than needed temperatures.

As far as smoking, gave that up in 1986. Should have pink lungs by now.

So as long as I use cadmium bearing silver solder with a fume hood, wash my hands and don't do a volume operation, it sounds like something else will get me first.

Wes S

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Thank you for the clear instructions and comments.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

if you read back in model engineer (a magazine out of england) there are a number of fatal accidents reported in model engineers who overheated cadmium bearing silver solders.

evidently the cadmium becomes a fine white cloud of particles in the air and inhaling it is fatal.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot

I tended to buy my silver solder from mcmaster carr... just checked and prices are still $80-90 for 5 troy ounces of the common alloys. 1 oz coils $18-25 too for those who don't need the quantity.

Reply to
cs_posting

I've got a fair pile of ME mags that I have been through repeatedly, and that's a new one on me. Got some dates, issue numbers?

The way the old bats there can beat a subject to death in the letters column, I figure if there was a death that related to cadmium, they'd have a full page dire warning in every issue.

These days, a model engineer dying while working in the shop is almost a given, when you look at the demographics (it's a bunch of old farts).

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Which reminds me of something I was reading at work a couple of months ago. It was an argument, presented in graphics, that the prevalence and death rates for cardiovascular disease actually had been flat for a couple of decades, trying to imply that little progress had been made in controlling it. Then it struck me -- they're still dying from it, but they're about ten years older when they die from it now.

"Read carefully," it says here in small print...

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

A favorite quote of mine.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal can be fascinating, but what they conceal might be critical.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Overheating gasoline can also be quickly fatal.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Yes, if you don't use the Cad stuff, and a tip comes off, IT could get you first. I say use what you KNOW works, and just make sure you take the correct precautions.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Not immediately fatal unless a very large dose.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Aha. I'll keep that one. d8-)

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

next meeting and access to the library is next wednesday. I'll see if the index points me to it.

Stealth Pilot

Reply to
Stealth Pilot