Website for machine makers?

"John R. Carroll" wrote in news:cEFwl.22602$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

Yup.

Here's some more good news just in: January USMTC numbers shows the TOTAL number of metal cutting machines sold for the month at 663. That's the lowest number ever reccorded since the program began in 1964. That's a

72.2% decline from January 2008 and a 52.8% decline from the previous month.

The total value was $84,566,000.00 only the second time ever the value fell below $100 million. The last time was 2003.

?There?s no way or reason to try to sugar coat these numbers ? they are the lowest since the program began in 1996,? said Peter Borden, AMTDA President. ?While a few small pockets of activity have continued, most everyone will be on the sidelines until there is some confidence and positive direction for the rest of the economy. No one knows at this point where the bottom is and if a recovery will occur this year. The optimism that we had hoped would follow the Inauguration thus far has not materialized.?

I need a government job. I should have bought one from Obama's pal Blagojevich last year when I had the money.

We should start a pool on which builder will be the first to go t*ts up.

Reply to
D Murphy

Dan:

I was wondering how the downturn was affecting you. It seems the answer is not good, not good at all.

Maybe you could get a returned machine cheap - put it in your garage - and crank out some parts on the side?

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news:2fadnUVNpJN6p1nUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Hey BB. How are you and the better half?

Downturns are always tough on this side of the business. I've been doing OK until this month. Based on what I've been seeing and hearing this month is going to be worse than January. In fact February sucked hard too.

I predict a long hard road this time around. The peaks aren't as high and the lows keep getting lower and lasting longer.

I'm not too worried though. I get a lot of job offers. Someone called me just last week. Taiwanese product, but innovative rather than the usual cheapo knock off stuff. But starting over trying to build business for someone else is starting to lose its appeal. So I don't know if I'm interested or not.

Reply to
D Murphy

BottleBob wrote in news:2fadnUVNpJN6p1nUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Hey BB. How are you and the better half?

Downturns are always tough on this side of the business. I've been doing OK until this month. Based on what I've been seeing and hearing this month is going to be worse than January. In fact February sucked hard too.

I predict a long hard road this time around. The peaks aren't as high and the lows keep getting lower and lasting longer.

I'm not too worried though. I get a lot of job offers. Someone called me just last week. Taiwanese product, but innovative rather than the usual cheapo knock off stuff. But starting over trying to build business for someone else is starting to lose its appeal. So I don't know if I'm interested or not.

Reply to
D Murphy

Gee BB, you want Dan to put one of the bar feed screw machines (swiss) in his garage & "Watch paint dry" . I watched him in Dallas make one hell of air line fitting & I bet the threads are good unlike the china made ones...

Reply to
Why

DD:

Maybe he could run 12' bars through a doggie door in the garage wall, eh?

Reply to
BottleBob

Why wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh. If they don't leak Walmart won't buy them. Then where would I be?

Reply to
D Murphy

There is no shortage of candidates Dan. That's oine capital intensive industry and without pribate equity in the mix, everyone will be distressed.

Eastern Europe is getting clobbered with Swiss Franc denominated lending right now so anyone that relies on that market will be in real trouble. The Taiwanese, in particular, will probably be most affected but that area has been hot for several years now and everyone jumped. Seen a lot of guys put multi axis Mazak's in Brno.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

BB, at my house 32 yrs ago when I had 1 screw machine in my 1 1/2 car garage I had a hole in the wall with a rubber flap that I would push the 12' bar thru to load in the machine. I would unload my pickup full of 12' bars late at night & shove under the door. Old farts lived next door, now I are one..

Reply to
Why

Yep, due to the loss of selling pipe dope.

Reply to
Why

"John R. Carroll" wrote in news:YyZwl.21727$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

I'm amazed at how fast it went from record sales to zip. I started to see it slowing in Septmeber, but the boostr from IMTS masked that. By the election most places were done buying.

Reply to
D Murphy

It was like someone pulled the plug. I remember your comment to the effect that you'd know when your niche was going to be hit by the number of newer machines coming to the market. Since anyone can hang on for a couple of moinths I'd wager that this isn't what happened. IOW, it was over before anyone realized what was really happening.

I sent you a brief private message indicating one prime candidate a while back and was wondering if you got it. Those guys import milling machines but they build turning centers.

In any event, I don't thing we'll see much of a change until summer's end. Next year, OTOH might really be something going forward. When there is a general sense of improvement, there will be a tremendous rush to get going on new projects and there is literally a TON of money on the sidelines right now.

JC

Reply to
John R. Carroll

I'm buying.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

"John R. Carroll" wrote in news:vKhyl.10568$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com:

That's pretty much what happened. The used machines are only now hitting the market. Some nice late model ones too. Which makes it even harder to sell a new one of course.

I did get that. Thats the problem with "smart phones" (the dumbass that owns it) I figured I'd reply later from my PC but forgot.

I hope so. There might not be much of a machine toll industry left by then. OTOH, I can't imagine sales being worse than March.

Reply to
D Murphy

jon_banquer wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

It will take more than a used surface grinder to fix this.

Reply to
D Murphy

Good thing I have and will continue to purchase more then. I'm looking for a EMCO Maximat manual lathe as well.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

innews: snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

Jeez Dan, come on. Jon's going to scrounge up an old Bridgeport, and some used measuring tools from an auction to go *with* that surface grinder. He's BOOMING!

Reply to
Joe788

jon_banquer wrote in news:a91b72bf-98b2-431e-925b- snipped-for-privacy@j8g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

Hobby grade stuff at best.

Reply to
D Murphy

Space is at a premium and the paid for CNC will take up most of it.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA jonbanquer.blogspot.com/

Reply to
jon_banquer

You can take the back seats out of your Blazer. Unless that is where you sleep...

Reply to
Half-Nutz