What is Your Handle on Practical Machinist?

To Those Who Post to Practical Machinist.

I was just curious as to your handle over on PM.

Reply to
BottleBob

If I had one it would be friggenbozo, then when I was a friggenasshole nobody would be shocked.

Why would anybody go away from usenet to talk in a moderated kinda way? Whenever I go to those places and see posts that just say "removed for content" I wonder WTF? Was that something good? DOn't I even get to choose whether the info is useful?

Reply to
vinny

Some people just need a bit more hand holding and spoon feeding than others...

A bit of selective filtering, and Usenet is very enjoyable, and uncluttered. Plus you always have the option to view what you have filtered if you choose to do so.

Reply to
sittingduck

Vinny & SD:

I'll give you a recent comparative example. Martin posted some questions in here about the use of a subplate. It was a good on-topic thread and he got a number of different answers to his questions. I told him about PM and he went over there and essentially asked similar questions. The responses over on PM were more varied, more detailed, and had a greater volume of posts. All in all, PM was a MUCH better resource of information for Martin.

Now if you're looking for speculative posts on how many wingers can dance on the head of 2-56 screw, then amc is your place to go.

Here, you probably only have a handful of regulars that post all the time, but on PM you might have 10 times the number that post to amc.

Reply to
BottleBob

Precisely, which equates to 1/10 the actual information here.

Reply to
Tim

I use web forums as often as I use Usenet. They both have their places, and both are useful and entertaining. You'll find Usenet more enjoyable if you ease up on trying to make it into something it's not. Lots of changes have come, google allowing posting being the biggest, and there's only so much you can do.

Reply to
sittingduck

OK. I'll bite.

How many wingers can dance on the head of a 2-56 screw?

Reply to
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni

Kurgan:

You'll have to ask Cliff, he's the Imperial Wizard of all things "winger".

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news:s_- dna2eNaV0XHLUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Bob, If you hadn't already picked up on it, mine is Tonytn36

Reply to
Anthony

things "winger".

milgil -. been that since '80 when I was the Cincinnati Milacron

10v2000 king. Love that old POS. I cut some big stuff back then, with an 26 X 80 open bed, like 4' X 8' (5cav) rubber molds (door matt) - FM15& 45. The plate had to be shifted once per side & rotated. The 5th cav was on the end turned 90deg cut 1/2 & 1/2. IIRC they had around 7thousand little dimples/cav. How bout the rubber matts the meat cutters use, hexagon with the hole in the middle & dimples on one side. My fav was the RR crossing rubber molds. 3/4" HSS EM ( I modified) plunge 1/2" deep G73 chip break no peck. I wore my motorcycle full face helmet when getting close to the action for a BJ. The guys called me cincimilgil - shortend - milgil. & no, contrary to popular belief, cincimilgil was not referring to the marijuana called cincimilla. but man was that good shit! :-)

Join me on Facebook :

Twitter:
\|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the HOLDZEM=A9=AE king

Reply to
milgil

I forgot it.

Reply to
Black Dragon

mama dragon named you well blackie, no need for nyms for you. Michael

Reply to
Michael

BottleBob wrote in news:s_- dna2eNaV0XHLUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Same as it is here.

Reply to
Alphonso

And what would that be ?

Reply to
Earwax museum

Most software and hardware companies have created there own support boards over the years. Some do a better job than others. I've used the Siemens NX newsgroups for many years now. They are moderated and only for users with paid maintenance plans. Never have I seen spam or any topic other than getting the job done. The topics get very detailed answers from both Siemens employees and end users. There are no "water cooler" topics posted there. For that reason I would never post a specific NX question here or PM. I post info I feel interesting to users here and I may answer one here if I feel inspired.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Which wing?

Reply to
clutch

Vinny, I can almost guarantee you've never gone to Practical Machinist and seen a post that says "removed for content". The only stuff I ever see moderated is Jon's copy/paste/misquote "Now it's correct" tirades. He's also the only person I've ever seen banned there (6 different times with at least 6 different usernames).

A pretty good chunk of the people here also post over there. If you click on the "CNC Machining" section over there, you'll see about 20 topics from the last 24 hours, all of them on topic (an a handful of them actually interesting). What do you see when you look at the topic list here?

Reply to
Joe788

Joe788 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x1g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

In addition to what Joe has to say, I'd like to add.... In the CNC Machining forum, which I think is the crown jewel of PM and is treated as such. I'm betting, (without doing any statistics) you'll find better than 95% of the threads _on topic_, whether it be tooling, machine problems, programming or what have you. If you will also take time to notice, there are some _very_ sharp folks who post in the CNC forum. Yes, there are many who need help....(some need lots of it..), but by and large, some really sharp cookies in the jar over there.

Reply to
Anthony

An opportunity for you to do as usual, hump JB's leg.

Reply to
Black Dragon

Really? I see thirty topics. I don't see a single reply from me to any of JB's posts.

You can get off my leg now, bitch.

Reply to
Joe788