Anyone familiar with Mitsubishi FX PLC

I find myself in a predicament with which I could really use some help. Years ago I installed an elevator with a variable-frequency drive managed by a Mitsubishi FX series PLC which I programmed with an FX-10P-E hand held.

Now, due to changing the drive, I find it necessary to alter a few things but seem to have forgotten how to stop the damn PLC to make changes. I've plugged in the 10P-E and tried to go to the "Write" mode but keep getting an error indicating the PLC is still running. There's a small "On-Off" switch next to the programmer port, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I've tried switching it "Off" with the programmer plugged in and then cycling the

110VAC power to the unit, but no joy.

I can't find the manual that came with the 10P-E and the only thing I see on-line are the manuals that give instructions on doing the programming, not how to actually use the 10P-E.

If anyone could jog my poor old brain or give a link to instructions I would be eternally grateful.

Reply to
dvus

Have you switched the PLC "off" then plugged in the programmer?

Reply to
SQLit

On some of the MELSEC FX PLC's, there's a screw terminal named 'RUN' to which there is probably connected 24VDC. Disconnect this cable and connect it to 'STOP' terminal instead. Hope this helps!

Reply to
Ove

Yes, I tried that, and every combination of power/connection/switching I could think of.

Reply to
dvus

I already looked, there's no wire(s) to the "RUN" terminal at all, but thanks for the suggestion. It does seem odd that the "RUN" connection isn't needed to keep the unit running, but I was very careful in verifying there was no wires there and that I was looking at the correct terminal.

In thinking back last night I recalled that we used to put a EEPROM cassette in some of the PLC's, and they had a "Write-Protect" DIP switch on them. I'm going to the site today to see if this one has an EEPROM and if so whether switching off the protect switch allows the unit to stop.

Reply to
dvus

Take a look at the status/ control bits. Manuals are available from the Mitsubishi web site (sometimes funky to find).

On FX1N, FX2N and FX2NC PLCs you can set the M8037 bit to force a remote stop.

Norman

Reply to
Norman Buck

If you can find out *exactly* which FX PLC you have that will help quite a bit.

Are you sure you you have an original FX?? There was a huge range, starting with the FX series, through the FX0, to the things they have now. The FX needs the run input - the FX0 doesn't..

The EEPROM write protect won't help. If you have an FX, you should be able to stop it by holding the [WR] key down on the programmer whilst powering up the PLC.

HTH, Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Take a look in the manual for the specific FX CPU that you have, here's a list of most manuals:

Ove

what model FX?

Reply to
sQuick

I found out how to do it. You hold down the "W/R" button while powering up. It works, but oddly enough, I don't remember having to do that originally. The elevator is back in working order now, the new VVVF drive is happily running the motor to transport people up and down.

Reply to
dvus

Not sure, but I know there was no RUN signal needed.

Heh, where were you when I was frantically pushing every damn button on the hand-held trying to stop the thing? You're quite right, though, that does stop program execution and that's exactly what I did to edit the rungs.

Reply to
dvus

That link didn't work for me, but it's all academic now, the thing is fixed. Thanks for the reply, though.

Reply to
dvus

Don't know, but I *had* the big manual for the PLC and it didn't help. What I needed was the book for the FX 10P-E hand-held programmer.

Reply to
dvus

I may just have a copy of that at work, I'll take a look today.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Not necessary, thanks, the problem is solved. I'm almost glad this situation arose, I was unaware of this group and find much of it fascinating reading. I wish I'd had access to it back in the early eighties when I was first struggling with PLC application to elevator controls but I see it wasn't newgrouped until '92.

Reply to
dvus