Best way for comunication PC-PLC

Hi all:
We are trying to develop a mixed control system with a OMRON PLC and some PC´s. The PLC will send messages to the PC´s, when the PC receive
the message it must execute some processes. It is very important to syncronize communication between them, only some milliseconds of delay are allowed. Has anybody suggestions how we can implement this configuration?.
Thanks in advance     Vicent Vidal
Add pictures here
✖
Vicent wrote:

receive
delay
Is this the communication only that must be synchronized or the processing of data by the PC?
for the latter, you might consider using real time extensions such as Venturcom RTX for windows or RTLinux depending on your OS. http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpembed/html/hardrealtime.asp http://www.fsmlabs.com /
For the former you could use PC cards that implement the protocol you are using.
Add pictures here
✖
Vicent wrote:

Check out if this version of PLC is supporting PROFIBUS or CAN at frame level.
If this is the case you could use QNX6.3 on a PC in order to communicate with the PLC using PROFIBUS or CAN.
Best Regards
Armin
http://www,steinhoff-automation.com

Add pictures here
✖
Armin Steinhoff wrote:

and
receive
delay
frame
communicate
This a valid option if the PC can be turned into a dedicated device. Otherwise if you must use a Windows base PC, you could use National instruments LabView real time extensions which also requires less low level programming. http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13754
extension
Add pictures here
✖
Lanarcam wrote:

No, no ... The RTOS QNX6 doesn't turn a PC into a dedicated devive!
QNX6.3 has very nice desktop features and it is very scalable. The run-time system (including the GUI Photon) costs in the range of $300-$400. There is also available a free XFree86 based windowing system and lots of free third party software.
Regards
Armin
http://www.steinhoff-automation.com
Add pictures here
✖
Armin Steinhoff wrote:

device.
system
I won't argue about QNX user frendliness. I used it in the past for some projects without problems. Could the OP describe its requirements in terms of OS? Windows could be required and QNX would not be an option despite its capabilities.
Add pictures here
✖
Need more info on your needs.
Is this a one way trigger message to an addressed PC?
Same message trigger multiple PC's?
more specific's
Vicent wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

There will be multiple PC´s in the networkk, maybe three or four and all of them have to response at the same time to the signal.
Thank you Vicent Vidal
Add pictures here
✖
Vicent wrote:

and
receive
delay
configuration?.
Could you describe your requirements more precisely: What are the acceptable delays between sending of messages by the PLC and processing at the PC ? Should the time be met with 100% or 99.99% certainty ? Why can't you execute the process at the PLC and push out the results to the PCs for delayed background processing ? What are the required OS for the PC if any ? Must the process on the PC communicate with third party software, which ones ? What are the consequences of the processes being not executed at the same time ? What is the acceptable jitter? Are there safety levels to be considered ? Are the PCs connected and synchronised among themselves, by what mean ?
Add pictures here
✖
Are you taking like single digit milliseconds??
Vicent wrote:

Add pictures here
✖

Yes, I suposse that this is a good definition.
Add pictures here
✖

You might want to have a look at Profinet. It is an industrialised ethernet using TCPIP for pretty fast coms or RT for the kind of high speed coms toy are looking for.

Add pictures here
✖