Career protection?

I asked for remarks a few weeks ago about experience with outsourcing, in connection with an article I'm preparing for InTech magazine, and received many good responses. Thanks to all.

I'm wondering ... what are the best strategies for protecting your career when Acme might up and move to Mexico any day?

Thoughts?

I can be contacted off the board, if you prefer, with e-mail to bobfelton **at** gmail.com.

Thanks, Bob Felton

Reply to
BobFelton

Strategy for stopping some company from dumping ya? Keep the resume and business contacts current.

My last employer decided to send all of the help desk and programming to India. Layed off or fired most of us. A year later and they are back sniffing at my heals. Drop dead I say. Fool me once your fault, fool me twice................. So far it is 100% that none of us will come back to the Shepard. I told them I would do the work as a consultant at the rate they charge the customer plus expenses and travel. Silence was golden, pretty sure that they will not call back.

Reply to
SQLit

Outsourcing is a business interest. If you want to stop it, have your government step in. If your worry is just your job, have good rapports with your boss and build influential contacts with in the company.

Cheers!

Reply to
bigprot

Hello Bob,

Learn Spanish and move there as well. Sorry for being sarcastic but if that's what it will take then it has to be done.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Touch of the old tar brush there boy!

Reply to
Feltch Pipe

Tar bush???? I remember Briar Rabbit but your inference is lost on me.

I was miffed at the situation. They told us what they wanted and when we did it. Then they clobbered us for doing what we were directed to do. We even exceeded the profit levels set for us. What more could you ask of a automation group? The only thing we failed at was dollar volume. Their $ expectations were just loony.

Reply to
SQLit

Bob, Some tips: Learn as much as possible about your job, particularly about things that might not be important in your current job but could be useful in other jobs.

Be as flexible as possible, learning about related aspects of your work.

Save money and stay out of debt (particularly credit card debt.)

Have a spouse with a good job, not working for the same company.

Write articles for Intech (good exposure for future jobs).

I look forward to seeing your InTech article.

John Shaw

John Shaw