Advice - Graduating without any Internships?

Hello,
I got behind in the internship search and didn't find anything for this summer. I'm still trying to look but it seems impossible at this
point. (is it even possible this late??) I am going to graduate in December, and I'm freaking out because I went to a great school and never got an internship while I was there. I need to find work for when I graduate in December.
So, if I don't magically find an internship for this summer (which is probably the most likely case), how screwed am I? I am a good student; my gpa is current 3.65 and I am sure I can get it to 3.7 by the time I graduate.
So, if I graduate with near a 3.7 or so GPA from a prestigious university and a some independent research projects, but absolutely no internships/jobs, how hard will it be to find good employment when I graduate in December? I'm an EE major specializing in communications and signals.
I'm really starting to panic. Once I graduate, I will desperately need to make money as soon as possible. And I mean desperately (long story). Otherwise I would have gone to grad school. I feel bad that I can't go to grad school, but it really is absolutely impossible at this point.
How bad shape am I in?
Thanks so much for any help.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well, I didn't have the GPA that you do, (I graduated 3 years ago), and I didn't have any internships either, and now I'm without a job, or a career, or any prospects, in this depressed economy. I directly blame the republicans and all the money they're spending on this stupid conflict in Iraq instead of the money that should be spent at home.

??? That is odd. We are having fits finding qualified engineers. Good engineers can pretty much write their own tickets. The demand for engineers is up, not down. What are the details of your degree? What school?
Charles Perry P.E.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

I'm certainly at the other end of my career than AG and jerothb, but there are a *lot* of jobs out there to be had. One does have to go where the jobs are. At least that hasn't changed in 34 years. ;-)
--
Keith

Well I'm not bound by location so I'm willing to go just about anywhere. Hopefully that will be to my advantage. :)
In article <323ca74c-d817-442a-9f2b-d5af2402f2a5

It most certainly will be to your advantage. Remember, you first job is to gain experience. You may have to shovel stinky stuff, but learn to like it. Above all, *learn*. You'll be fine.
-- Keith
| snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says... |>
|> wrote: |> >> Hello, |> >> |> >> I got behind in the internship search and didn't find anything for |> >> this summer. I'm still trying to look but it seems impossible at this |> >> point. (is it even possible this late??) I am going to graduate in |> >> December, and I'm freaking out because I went to a great school and |> >> never got an internship while I was there. I need to find work for |> >> when I graduate in December. |> >> |> >> So, if I don't magically find an internship for this summer (which is |> >> probably the most likely case), how screwed am I? I am a good |> >> student; my gpa is current 3.65 and I am sure I can get it to 3.7 by |> >> the time I graduate. |> >> |> >> So, if I graduate with near a 3.7 or so GPA from a prestigious |> >> university and a some independent research projects, but absolutely no |> >> internships/jobs, how hard will it be to find good employment when I |> >> graduate in December? I'm an EE major specializing in communications |> >> and signals. |> >> |> >> I'm really starting to panic. Once I graduate, I will desperately need |> >> to make money as soon as possible. And I mean desperately (long |> >> story). Otherwise I would have gone to grad school. I feel bad that I |> >> can't go to grad school, but it really is absolutely impossible at |> >> this point. |> >> |> >> How bad shape am I in? |> >> |> >> Thanks so much for any help. |> > |> > |> > Well, I didn't have the GPA that you do, (I graduated 3 years ago), and I |> > didn't have any internships either, and now I'm without a job, or a |> > career, or any prospects, in this depressed economy. I directly blame the |> > republicans and all the money they're spending on this stupid conflict in |> > Iraq instead of the money that should be spent at home. |> |> ??? That is odd. We are having fits finding qualified engineers. Good |> engineers can pretty much write their own tickets. The demand for engineers |> is up, not down. What are the details of your degree? What school? | | I'm certainly at the other end of my career than AG and jerothb, but | there are a *lot* of jobs out there to be had. One does have to go | where the jobs are. At least that hasn't changed in 34 years. ;-)
That is in fact one of the difficulties. Jobs are NOT distributed in the same way as the population. But when a company is willing to have someone do the job 20000 km away they then seem to be uninterested in someone 2000 km away.
I did the "follow the jobs" thing for many years. When the jobs disappeared into no particular direction (and employers were getting 6000 resumes for a job, of which 600 were qualified), I decided it was time to re-bond with the family.
An employer that has jobs that really have to be done in that particular location, because of needs to access special facilities or large machines, or the work is with large devices or such, then I can see the need for them to want to hire people that can move there. But for jobs that can be done on a distributed or telecommute basis, such employers have no basis for any complaint of not being able to find people.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

Why should they be, particularly if you have skills that aren't in great demand everywhere (like a plumber).

Your choice. I lived 1000 miles from family for 30+ years. Now that I'm getting around to moving closer (only 400mi now), my mother is 95yo and my wife's family has passed on. One brother is still close by. OTOH, *out* family is left back.

Umm, *they* are not the ones complaining here. It's their money - they get to choose the rules.
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
[...]
|> That is in fact one of the difficulties. Jobs are NOT distributed in the same |> way as the population. But when a company is willing to have someone do the |> job 20000 km away they then seem to be uninterested in someone 2000 km away. | | Why should they be, particularly if you have skills that aren't in | great demand everywhere (like a plumber).
I'm referring to cases where both have the skills, and in most cases the one 20000 km has much less experience, but works for less because of the economics of their country, and the exchange rate.
|> An employer that has jobs that really have to be done in that particular |> location, because of needs to access special facilities or large machines, |> or the work is with large devices or such, then I can see the need for them |> to want to hire people that can move there. But for jobs that can be done |> on a distributed or telecommute basis, such employers have no basis for any |> complaint of not being able to find people. | | Umm, *they* are not the ones complaining here. It's their money - | they get to choose the rules.
They are making the claim that there is a lack of talented, trained, and experience people. This is a FALSE CLAIM. Of course they get to make the rules ... most of them. One rule that do NOT get to make is the one about false representation. What they are NOT telling us is that their rule is about hiring people cheap. If they were to tell the truth, they would be saying "there are not enough people out there willing to work for lower salaries and with less benefits, and willing to be jerked around by our incompetent mid-level managers".
There ARE talented, trained, and experience people available right here in the USA. The same goes for Europe. What companies need to do to get them to come on board is to make them an acceptable offer for a decent job.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

Sure it happens, but certainly not universal. There are a *LOT* of engineering jobs still here. Some in areas I would *never* have considered. Your attitude is simply silly.

Absolute bullshit. I don't work cheap and don't seem to be attracting flies.

There *IS* work. If you can't find it, perhaps the problem you. I don't seem to have problems scaring it up and none of it is substandard salaries. Most I've interviewed with recently don't do overtime either (one doesn't allow access on the weekends, under ordinary circumstances).
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
What it might come down to is that maybe you are willing to work the kinds of jobs that most engineers would not want to do. And that includes NOT wanting to move to the other side of the continent.
There are plenty of talented, trained, and experienced people. That is NOT a claim that YOU are working cheap. It's more about a disconnect between corporations and the people that are available. Much of that disconnect is probably due to the way the jobs are listed (e.g. they aren't listed where people look).
|> There ARE talented, trained, and experience people available right here in |> the USA. The same goes for Europe. What companies need to do to get them |> to come on board is to make them an acceptable offer for a decent job. | | There *IS* work. If you can't find it, perhaps the problem you. I | don't seem to have problems scaring it up and none of it is | substandard salaries. Most I've interviewed with recently don't do | overtime either (one doesn't allow access on the weekends, under | ordinary circumstances).
I'm not disputing this. But I am disputing THEIR claim that there is a lack of people available. That just isn't so.
says...

I'm not exactly cleaning latrines. I'm currently doing FPGA "firmware" and was working for a fortune 10 company before that.

That is *exactly* my point. If you (second person plural) would rather whine than work, by all means stay where you are and whine. The work is there, and I've been interviewing all over where people have told me that there isn't any work. As I said, I'm not even considering MA or CA (or anywhere close) so *I* am limiting my possibilities by 90%.

I'm not exactly turning over stones to find these jobs (Monster and recently CareerBuilder, the latter is less useful, IMO). They're calling me. Several I'm not qualified for and several I don't want (primarily MA), but I'm almost back to three calls a day and perhaps three phone interviews a week (one trip every other week).

There seems to be. Again, they aren't paying chickenfeed and most of the jobs I'm looking at come with relocation assistance. If there were an abundance of people they wouldn't need to pay these benefits. It perhaps isn't the best market ever, but it is *NOT* at all bad.
--
Keith

|> And that includes NOT wanting |> to move to the other side of the continent. | | That is *exactly* my point. If you (second person plural) would | rather whine than work, by all means stay where you are and whine. | The work is there, and I've been interviewing all over where people | have told me that there isn't any work. As I said, I'm not even | considering MA or CA (or anywhere close) so *I* am limiting my | possibilities by 90%.
Again, youa re not getting the point. I can tell that because your responses just don't match with what I am saying.
This is NOT about the lack of jobs local to where I am. I know that there will be fewer such jobs here.
What this *IS* about are the ****LIES**** from corporate executives who say there is a lack of people (talented, educated, trained, and/or experienced) in the USA when this is NOT TRUE AT ALL.
Basically I'm tired of the CORPORATIONS DOING THE WHINING!
If they _really_ wanted to get people to come work for them, they would do what it takes. The fact is in so many cases they would rather WHINE than hire. They _want_ to whine about it to Congress so they can get more and more legislative concessions.
Sure, they do hire Americans a lot. They can't do that entirely on imported or offshored labor. Some jobs have to be done in their locations, and for that, the importation has its limits (which they are trying to remove so they don't have to hire people like YOU to do the job you are qualified for, but want a pay level appropriate for someone expecting to live their life in this country).
When the corporations say that there are not enough people, they have LIED!
If they were to say there are not enough people willing to work at substandard pay levels, then that would be true. If they were to say that, then I could not call them liars.
If they were to say there are not enough people willing to migrate to locations where the corporations have their research labs, at the pay levels the offer, then that would be true. If they were to say that, then I could not call them liars.
But what they are saying is factually untrue. There ARE plenty of people in the USA right now in engineering and programming fields. That might not be true in the future if these corporations were to hire them. The number of people in this category really has dropped, so the FUTURE is risky. But this is a future of THEIR OWN MAKING because they have failed to provide the incentives for people to enter the engineering and programming fields (that being money for the most part ... but cool jobs count a lot, too).
| I'm not exactly turning over stones to find these jobs (Monster and | recently CareerBuilder, the latter is less useful, IMO). They're | calling me. Several I'm not qualified for and several I don't want | (primarily MA), but I'm almost back to three calls a day and perhaps | three phone interviews a week (one trip every other week).
CareerBuilder is a joke. I don't ever look there anymore.
Two things are true:
1. There are plenty of people. 2. There are plenty of jobs.
The issue is a disconnect between them. The people want the kinds of jobs employers do not want to offer.
So if someone say "there are no jobs", it would be untrue. But also, if someone say "there are no people", it, too, would be untrue. Yet employers say this.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

That's quite possible because you keep moving the goal posts.

It is *NOT A LIE*. There is a shortage of talented people.

...but have no problem being the biggest crybaby of them all. Grow up!

Jees. Don't you try to get every advantage you can? Don't you write your congresscritter? The fact is that there *is* a shortage of topnotch people and the situation is *not* improving.

You're full of shit.

Bullshit.

Absolute nonsense. You're the only liar here.

They cannot ge the people they need, where they need them. That is *exactly* what they're saying. They *are* paying rather well and *STILL* can't get them.

Horse shit. Who's whining (about nonsense) now?

I've recently found that. Still, I've gotten a few leads from there.

There aren't plenty of *talented* and *skilled* people. There *are* plenty of jobs for the above.

Well, duh! People want to be paid megabux for sitting on their hands. Sorry, but business doesn't work that way.

They say it because they can't get the people they need. Which *IS* true. ...and they are paying quite well for those they can find.
--
Keith

[personal attacks snipped]
When people start making personal attacks, then I know they don't have any relevant responses (anymore). So it looks like this (sub)thread has ended.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

No, Phil. Just that you have nothing to stand on, other than your hate.
--
Keith

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...
You mean my hatred of lies and other sins, and the big corporations that spout these lies and do other bad things? Seems like plenty to stand on to me.
says...

No, Phil. Hatred of business and anyone with what you haven't; typical leftist sort of hate.
--
Keith

| says...
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no hatred of business. Any thought like that is entirely in your imagination. Also, my politics seems be determined by your imagination as well. I have many left leaning and many right leaning, and many centrist political views. Just because you can't separate the good businesses from the bad businesses, do not assume that no one else can.
says...

You make it very clear, Phil, with football stadium sized brush strokes.

You may think you do.
--
Keith