Advice - Graduating without any Internships?

| says...
|> | says...
Oh yes, very clear ... that you like to falsely portray people in ways that make it easier to make personal attacks. Making personal attacks is one thing. But being too lazy to, or even just not being able to, make these personal attacks on people in relation to the truth, you have to make up some untruths that make the attacks easier, or simpler, for you.
|> I have many left leaning |> and many right leaning, and many centrist political views. Just because |> you can't separate the good businesses from the bad businesses, do not |> assume that no one else can. | | You may think you do.
If you think you can separate the good businesses from the bad businesses, go right ahead.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

Lying again, eh Phil?

I can, though perhaps not from a distance. OTOH, you accuse them *all* of being corrupt. You just proved my point. Give it up Phyllis Jr.
--
Keith

wrote: |
| wrote: |>> Hello, |>> |>> I got behind in the internship search and didn't find anything for |>> this summer. I'm still trying to look but it seems impossible at this |>> point. (is it even possible this late??) I am going to graduate in |>> December, and I'm freaking out because I went to a great school and |>> never got an internship while I was there. I need to find work for |>> when I graduate in December. |>> |>> So, if I don't magically find an internship for this summer (which is |>> probably the most likely case), how screwed am I? I am a good |>> student; my gpa is current 3.65 and I am sure I can get it to 3.7 by |>> the time I graduate. |>> |>> So, if I graduate with near a 3.7 or so GPA from a prestigious |>> university and a some independent research projects, but absolutely no |>> internships/jobs, how hard will it be to find good employment when I |>> graduate in December? I'm an EE major specializing in communications |>> and signals. |>> |>> I'm really starting to panic. Once I graduate, I will desperately need |>> to make money as soon as possible. And I mean desperately (long |>> story). Otherwise I would have gone to grad school. I feel bad that I |>> can't go to grad school, but it really is absolutely impossible at |>> this point. |>> |>> How bad shape am I in? |>> |>> Thanks so much for any help. |> |> |> Well, I didn't have the GPA that you do, (I graduated 3 years ago), and I |> didn't have any internships either, and now I'm without a job, or a |> career, or any prospects, in this depressed economy. I directly blame the |> republicans and all the money they're spending on this stupid conflict in |> Iraq instead of the money that should be spent at home. | | ??? That is odd. We are having fits finding qualified engineers. Good | engineers can pretty much write their own tickets. The demand for engineers | is up, not down. What are the details of your degree? What school?
There are plenty of good engineers in the digital arena out there looking for work. Note that they want _decent_ jobs ... NOT the "tag along with salesmen and be a yes-man" crap jobs that so many big corporations want. They want jobs where they can actually do something creative and/or innovative being engineers. To most engineers the quality of their work is what counts, not convincing clients that one companies products are better than another. The computer programmer fields are in the same boat. Too many corporations are outsourcing the creative/innovative work that gets done inside research labs and technical offices (and can sometimes be done at home), and wanting only to hire the customer contact jobs domestically.
So if you are "having fits finding qualified engineers" ... show the job listings (a list of direct links to each) so we can decide if these are truly decent jobs that engineers want, or are the kinds of crap jobs that engineers hate. I assume each job is posted on at least 5 different job boards (since it is _NOT_ the case the job hunters have the time to scour every job board out there every day).
FYI, I can be available in about 2 months to do embedded firmware programming on Linux or NetBSD based devices on a telecommute at home basis (unless work is within 100 km of where I live where pay is higher for greater distance).
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

...yet there are *plenty* of companies looking for engineers. Something isn't adding up.

Job hunters might not (I certainly don't at my current contract rates) but head hunters certainly do!

Perhaps there isn't anyone within 100km of where you live that wants/needs your skills. I'll *guarantee* that if you remove that 100km restriction you'll have more calls than you can answer (well, assuming you have real hardware experience too). I get many calls for embedded programming work, but I have to tell them that I'm not a 'C' programmer. I'll do assembler, if need be, but I'm primarily a hardware engineer.
--
Keith

| ...yet there are *plenty* of companies looking for engineers. | Something isn't adding up.
What's not adding up is they are only looking for the subset of engineers willing to work long hours for peanuts and few benefits for incompetent mid-level managers.
|> FYI, I can be available in about 2 months to do embedded firmware programming |> on Linux or NetBSD based devices on a telecommute at home basis (unless work |> is within 100 km of where I live where pay is higher for greater distance). | | Perhaps there isn't anyone within 100km of where you live that | wants/needs your skills. I'll *guarantee* that if you remove that | 100km restriction you'll have more calls than you can answer (well, | assuming you have real hardware experience too). I get many calls | for embedded programming work, but I have to tell them that I'm not | a 'C' programmer. I'll do assembler, if need be, but I'm primarily | a hardware engineer.
I'm already fending off the distant calls (well, mostly email). They are for the most part unwilling to bend. They don't offer enough money to make it worth moving. They aren't willing to have me do remote work. I've shifted more away from system administration and back to programming just so I can get remote work. I do lots of C programming and some assembler for several platforms (I prefer ARM, MIPS, PPC, Sparc, and S/370 when doing assembler, not x86/x86-64). I'd prefer more embedded programming ... these machines are much larger and faster than PCs were when I started Linux, and larger and faster than mainframes were when I got out of that field.
snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net says...

Absolute bullshit.

I "retired", after 30+ years about 18 months ago so took some time off to sell my house so I could move. After getting the house on the market I had no problems finding contract work (was working within 3 weeks of posting my resume on Monster). I really wasn't actively looking, rather testing the water. A job came up that would allow me to brush up on some skills I hadn't used in a while and it paid damned well (adding a pile of OT didn't hurt the bank account ;).
This contract job was only supposed to be a three month assignment but I was extended six more and they wanted another six on top of that, but I want a more permanent position so I'm "contracting" week-to-week now. I found a permanent position a little while back, but the offer was rescinded before I started (the company had two reqs out, but decided they could only afford one). I've been getting 10-20 calls a week (down from three a day) and have had several on-site interviews around the region recently. The market for hardware types is quite good and would be a lot better if I had some serious C experience (and wasn't so picky about location and job types). I just turned down a phone interview today because I don't have the experience "required". I have one tomorrow for a hardware position, where they're also looking for a software type. BTW, I've ruled out probably 90% of the possibilities (won't move back to the Northeast, or to the West coast).
It is *not* all gloom and doom out there. It's actually quite a good market, even in the Midwest.
--
Keith

I do not think you are in bad shape. With that GPA, and assuming the research work is relevent, you should not have a problem.
Charles Perry P.E.

MOST decent schools have representatives of companies and govrenment agencies come in to interview prespective applicants. Unfortunately for you, these usually are schedules for the Spring when most kids graduate. That said, your placement office still might be able to help you.
Internships are often used to help "screen" students to see whether the would fit into the company once they graduate. They also let staff know what the current generation of students is like.
But many organizations just want bright applicants with the intention of teaching them the specifics once they are on the payroll. For these outfits, your internship might actually be a "negative" as you may have picked up bad habbits from another company.

Well, the good news is that we actually get a lot of recruiters in the fall. I also have a teacher who wants to help me with the whole job search thing, so hopefully it will all work out. My interviewing skills are probably my weakest thing at this point, so I think I'll do my best to develop them over the summer.
In article <f468ea73-a1d2-435d-824c-
says...

Take him(her) up on the offer! Nothing is better than enthusiastic support from an instructor, particularly a well known one. Take every interview you can get where you *might* be qualified and interested [*] but don't make an obvious waste of their time. The interview process will teach you a lot. After each, give yourself a critique. What did you do/say wrong? Where were you weak? What could you have done better? Have a beer, and start preparing for the next one (not drunk ;).
[*] In your situation, I took one interview where I had little interest in the company but my lab partner had gone to work for them nine months earlier. I figured that if I got a plant trip, I'd get to see her again. I did, and did. I ended up working for the company for >32 years. ;-)
Like I said, I'm at the other end of my career. I've had 30+ years experience (and retired once) but am looking for a full time position too (retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be. ;-) I'd like to work another ten. I enjoy engineering. No, I'm not interested in management (makes the hiring managers less nervous ;).

It will.

Take as many interviews you can, for practice. There are also books that I found helped. I've also gotten some good advice from head hunters. You'll have to figure out your own style, but take it all.
-- Keith
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Check out http://theprofessionalengineer.com/2008/05/21/engineering-summer-internship /
-- MRDPE