controllable simulated indoor rain with solenoid valves

Hello all,

I have an interactive art project that I am doing some feasability research into. The basis of the artwork is a device that creates a simulation of rainfall that allows for control of the rain density across the rainfall area, from full speed right down to complete shutoff, with no drips. This will be accomplished with an overhead network of water drip-outlets or sprinklers, each individually controlled by a solenoid or similar so that I can control the amount of water falling in any particular area.

My initial idea for how to solve this involves a 16 x 16 grid of solenoid valves, each connected to a showerhead or some kind of droplet-creating device.

What would be better, however, is some system to form droplets of water on command, using a higher-density array of piezoelectric devices or using electrohydrodynamic techniques. This would enable me to alter the flow of raindrops to a particular area continuously, allowing for adjustable rainfall to a particular area.

As you may be able to tell I have no working knowledge in this field. So I have a couple of questions:

1) How feasible do you think these methods may be? 2) What sort of cost do you think may be involved?

Any advice, tips, ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Damian

-- damian stewart | +44 7854 493 796 | snipped-for-privacy@freyNOSPAM.co.nz frey | live art with machines |

damian.stewart

The pricey element in your conception is being able to localize rainfall rate in particular sections of the whole irrigated area.

If you would dump that requirement, a series of three sprinkler pipes fed by three flow controllers from a pressure regulator via three solenoid valves would provide slow rate, medium rate, and high rainfall. Arrange the three pipes to each cover the whole area. Then a microcontroller which could switch none to all three pipes to on, would give eight rates, in combination.

(There are some VERY high-dollar water ballets on show at Nevada, so a person could make a name for himself in this field.....)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott