Simulated Lake Water

I am putting a lake on my layout and was wondering what to use for water. I
was thinking of using polyurithane but don't know if it would dry clear or if
it would dry at all. Any suggestions...Thanks
DM
Reply to
DM/GM
We have used the two part resin Envirotex with good results. Also, Woodland Scenics makes a product called something like "real water" - clever huh!
Peter
Reply to
Peter J. Gross
I, too, use the Envirotex Lite for water. It must be poured in layers, though, no more than 1/8 inch at a time. I would not use polyurethane, although I did use clear fingernail polish to represent the drainage from a tunnel.
Peter J. Gross wrote:
Reply to
harrym
The resin is a good deal if you want to imbed objects in it. If not, gloss medium will do a good job for less money.
Reply to
lgb
I put fish in my water. Seriously, I made small fish by shaving a round toothpick [a slight curve resulted] and painting them. After pouring two layers of Envirotex Lite, I dipped the fish in CA and placed them on the water before pouring the last coat. I have to use a penlight to point them out to visitors [and my wife]. I needed something for the Preiser fishermen to catch.
lgb wrote:
Reply to
harrym
What is Envirotex Lite and where do you get it...DM
Reply to
DM/GM
Typically, acrylic gloss medium works well for a single-coat type of pond or lake. You can get gloss medium at art supply stores or "Mod Podge" at craft supply stores (this is usually cheaper than the artists acrylic medium). Mod Podge
Here's an article on using acrylic gloss medium. Trains.com: "Water, water anywhere" Create a realistic pond for your layout by Roger Carlson
People have mentioned other options (Envirotex, Real Water) for deeper, poured-type water (as opposed to acrylic gloss medium which is applied as more of a thick single layer as opposed to actually having depth).
Reply to
Mark Mathu
Envirotex Lite is the odorless version. I buy it at my local lumber yard, in the paint section. It is also used for decoupage, so crafts stores carry it, too. It's a two-part casting resin. There are numerous articles in MR about using it.
DM/GM wrote:
Reply to
harrym