Simulated Lake Water

I am putting a lake on my layout and was wondering what to use for water. I was thinking of using polyurithane but don't know if it would dry clear or if it would dry at all. Any suggestions...Thanks

DM

Reply to
DM/GM

We have used the two part resin Envirotex with good results. Also, Woodland Scenics makes a product called something like "real water" - clever huh!

Peter

Reply to
Peter J. Gross

Reply to
harrym

The resin is a good deal if you want to imbed objects in it. If not, gloss medium will do a good job for less money.

Reply to
lgb

Reply to
harrym

What is Envirotex Lite and where do you get it...DM

Reply to
DM/GM

Typically, acrylic gloss medium works well for a single-coat type of pond or lake. You can get gloss medium at art supply stores or "Mod Podge" at craft supply stores (this is usually cheaper than the artists acrylic medium). Mod Podge

Here's an article on using acrylic gloss medium. Trains.com: "Water, water anywhere" Create a realistic pond for your layout by Roger Carlson
People have mentioned other options (Envirotex, Real Water) for deeper, poured-type water (as opposed to acrylic gloss medium which is applied as more of a thick single layer as opposed to actually having depth).

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Reply to
harrym