embedded linux displacing WinCE and VxWorks?

The result of this report indicates that Microsoft's CE and VxWorks, are being rapidly displace by embedded linux and carrier grade linux in most embedded industries, including industrial automation and telecom/datacom.....

Comments?

James

Reply to
James

Of those three the only one that I've used is VxWorks.

I skimmed it; they naturally left out the smaller OS's, as you might use on an 8- or 16-bit processor because Linux doesn't really address that application -- yet those processors probably account for more embedded dollars, and certainly more embedded units, than 32-bit systems.

VxWorks is a nice OS, but they charge up the wazoo. Windows CE isn't real-time at all (I don't think Microsoft understands the term). Linux isn't real-time either, but it's no more difficult to make it real-time than CE (you make it run as a task in a true real-time OS), and there are versions with a real-time kernel that make it really-real time.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I agree, I think they forgot to mention it's related to 32 bit architectures, with and without MMUs. I seriously doubt the roll-your-own statemachine(or executive) type of developers quit using tried and proven techniques for 8/16 bit processors..... Even adding ethernet/tcp to custom state machines on 8/16 bit processors, is not difficult, after the first one is stable....

Yep, VxWorks is supporting embedded linux, with and without realtime extensions. Pretty much their customer based demanded this....

Lots of ways (commercially and roll-your-own) to get realtime performance on embedded linux. Many systems do not need real-time performance, as best-effort suffices quite often in embedded systems.

James

Reply to
James