Name of "Ordinary" Root-Locus Plot

Does anybody here know if there's a name for the "ordinary" root locus plot that one gets dragged through in control engineering school? I
mean the one where you have the sum of a polynomial plus a polynomial times a constant, i.e. it's linear in the parameter being varied.
Just "root locus" plot won't do, because you can have a polynomial that isn't linear in the parameter and make a perfectly nice little plot, you just can't flog the subject endlessly until your students can draw plots by hand in their sleep for systems with 10 poles and 5 zeros or whatever other perverse variations your sadistic mind can dream up.
And yes, almost nobody uses them in control design. I'm presenting them because it's a handy way to understand certain compensation schemes and because its a very powerful way of visualizing what happens to your system stability when you vary some parameter.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Found it -- somebody pointed out by email that the whole story is in the December IEEE Control Systems magazine, which was filed in geological order on my kitchen table.
So now I know it was done by W. D. Evans, and my kitchen table is much cleaner!
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Tim Wescott wrote:

Tim, would you care to enlighten the rest of us! What is an "Ordinary" Root Locus (not to be confused with Locust's) plot.
Thanks.
Cheers, David
Add pictures here
βœ–
David Kirkland wrote:

The Evans root-locus plot is a plot, on the complex plane, of all the possible roots of the system characteristic polynomial (AKA the transfer function denominator) as a single gain in the system is varied. So if you have a system
.---------. | | | | ------>O-------->| k G(z) |----------------> ^ | | | | | | | | '---------' | | | '----------------------------'
created by Andy΄s ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de
where G(z) is a ratio of polynomials and k is a gain you'll know all the possible root locations, and you'll have an idea of what you can do to tune the system. You can, if you're determined, even find the gain corresponding to a particular root location. Any one who's survived a 3rd-year controls class since about 1955 will know what I'm talking about.
I called it "ordinary" because I've also found it handy at times to plot root loci for a parameter that doesn't vary linearly -- e.g. instead of the system polynomial having coefficients that are of the form a_n + k b_n one may be a_n + k^2 b_n and another may be a_n + k b_n, etc.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
David Corliss wrote:

Actually in the full presentation G(z) turns out to be the plant (as reflected into the sampled-time domain) plus the controller. Or it may be some other construct entirely, if you're investigating the impact of moving a pole or a zero around, for instance.

While you can't arbitrarily place just a zero you _can_ arbitrarily place just a pole, as in a low-pass filter -- although in the sampled-time domain you're often better with a zero at z=0 for a little less lag.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
"While you can't arbitrarily place just a zero you _can_ arbitrarily place just a pole, as in a low-pass filter -- although in the sampled-time domain you're often better with a zero at z=0 for a little less lag."
A single pole, say, as a result of a low pass filter, is usually something that you have to 'contend with', as opposed to a filter pair construct which imparts a beneficial effect.
By adding a single pole, you are creating an additional locus branch. There may be instances where it would be useful. However, it would seem to be more of a problem than a solution.
The decided advantage of the pole-zero pair filter is that the modifying filter locus branch includes both a starting point (the pole) and an ending point (the zero).
... Say for example you have a single pole as a result of your low pass sampling filter. Does this usually, or ever, cause a problem? How do you deal with it?
Add pictures here
βœ–
David Corliss wrote:

It often makes sense to use low-pass filtering when you have noisy feedback and a relatively high sampling rate. But there is a distinct tradeoff on the loop bandwidth -- the extra pole is there and must be contended with, no question.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services