Other options than Wonderware InControl

What other products compete with InControl and how do they compare?

Other than the standard stuff, I'm intrested in the capability to handle complex data objects / structures.

I am looking at changing platforms on one products and and would like to hear good things and bad things from the group.

nathan

Reply to
nathan

GE Fanuc CIMplicity HMI (Plant addition and others), used to control whole GM and other large factories and track products w/ Tracker and other associated products for event logging and historian. Has event triggers and VB built in. Can communicate wit SQL databases. they also have Intellution HMI/SCADA

Others also, look for: SCADA = Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition MES = Manufacturing Execution Systems

There are several other too, have some vendors give you their once over and recommendations, then come back to the group to get pro's and cons. To some extent we will be prone to what we have used and know or bad to those we did not know well.

Reply to
mindspringnews

Thank you for your response. I am not worried about the HMI aspects, but more on the "soft" PLC aspect of InControl and others. Intellution made one earlier, but is was not near as good.

This is for a supervisory control system, that has do sensor validation, optimization, real time curve fitting, etc. InControl has done a good job ont the product, but because of political pressures, we need to reevaluate the platform.

My first thought is not to use any off the shelf soft PLCs, but rebuild the system on a .Net platform talking OPC to the regulatory control systems (both PLC and DCS based).

One of our issues is stability. Several of the top controls companies are not in good shape. The actual divisions seem to be doing well, but the parent companies are struggling. For example, look at ABB's stock price over the past couple of years. I think they are doing better, but we are still a little concerned.

Nathan

Reply to
nathan