PLCs - SLC 500 and ControlLogix

Hi all, I am not new to PLCs, but I am not all that experienced either, so I am looking for some "newbee" advice. Pointing me to some online reference material would be greatly appreicated. My specific Questions are:

- What are the major differenced between ContolLogix and SLC 500? - Why would I want to select ControlLogix over SLC 500 or vise versa? - Is there a FAQ about this material somewhere. I have not been able to find one.

I am reading through the AB info at their web site, but I would also like to know what experienced users have to say.

Thanks in Advance, mze

Reply to
mze

is probably a better place to ask

Reply to
Francis

SLC 500's are the older hardware. ControlLogix new and somewhat more complex/virsistal... The software for the SLC will cost you quite a bit less than the higher end stuff for the contrologix... J M H O

st

Reply to
St

I don't know what it's like where you are, but over here (down under), CLogix is roughly 1.5-2 times more than a similar-sized SLC depending on I/O count and type - including software.

Actually just last week we ripped out an SLC and replaced it with a CLogix doing the same job - although they're a good platform when left alone, the SLC was comparatively just too much of a pain in the butt..

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Why was the SLC a pain in hte butt? I've done similar jobs and mostly it was just because the customer wanted A-B's latest and greatest. I've also done other jobs where I simply upgraded a 5/02 (DH485) or a 5/04 (DH+) to a 5/05 (Ethernet) just so the customer could resolve connectivity issues. Processor upgrades are nice because it requires no I/O rewiring. In and out during those jobs :)

Reply to
Ursa Major

The client is using CitectSCADA thru the RS232 port - so you need a PIC to communicate. I just don't happen to have one lying around... and that's a pain in the butt.

Very true.. In this case:

1) the client was putting in a CLogix elsewhere on their plant, 2) the SLC had already grown to an extra rack in a box on top of the PLC cabinet that was hard to get to (no room anywhere else) - the CLogix chassis is more compact, did you notice that?, 3) replacing the CLogix meant they didn't have to carry SLC spares as well as maintain RSLogix500 *and* 5000 and 4) I didn't think about it (and neither did the AB sales guy ;-).

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Well .. fortunenaly or unfortunenaly it was never passed by me what the costing on systems were. All I have had to do is spec out what. Or had it specd' for me and had to work with them. I'll say that servo control is a bit easier with the contrologix than with the SLC's

Most of the AB suppliers would be glad to price out systems..

st

Reply to
St

I would like to thank all of you for the post you made in this thread. I have heard that Clogix is about 40-100% more than a silimilar SLC

500. It is nice to know that the newer technology makes life easier when implenting servos. I will assume that this is also the case with process control systems. Again, thanks for all the input.

MZE

St wrote:

Reply to
mze