PLCs - SLC 500 and ControlLogix

Hi all, I am not new to PLCs, but I am not all that experienced either, so I am looking for some "newbee" advice. Pointing me to some online
reference material would be greatly appreicated. My specific Questions are:
- What are the major differenced between ContolLogix and SLC 500? - Why would I want to select ControlLogix over SLC 500 or vise versa? - Is there a FAQ about this material somewhere. I have not been able to find one.
I am reading through the AB info at their web site, but I would also like to know what experienced users have to say.
Thanks in Advance, mze
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/ is probably a better place to ask

Thanks for the link. I was not aware of plctalk.net. MZE
Francis wrote:

SLC 500's are the older hardware. ControlLogix new and somewhat more complex/virsistal... The software for the SLC will cost you quite a bit less than the higher end stuff for the contrologix... J M H O
st

St, In percentage terms, how much more would a similarly sized ControlLogix system cost compared to a SLC/500 system? I know there are lots of options in both families, but all I am looking for is a ball park figure on simulary sized systems that you may have worked with. Thanks. Mze
St wrote:

I don't know what it's like where you are, but over here (down under), CLogix is roughly 1.5-2 times more than a similar-sized SLC depending on I/O count and type - including software.
Actually just last week we ripped out an SLC and replaced it with a CLogix doing the same job - although they're a good platform when left alone, the SLC was comparatively just too much of a pain in the butt..
Cameron:-)

I/O
Why was the SLC a pain in hte butt? I've done similar jobs and mostly it was just because the customer wanted A-B's latest and greatest. I've also done other jobs where I simply upgraded a 5/02 (DH485) or a 5/04 (DH+) to a 5/05 (Ethernet) just so the customer could resolve connectivity issues. Processor upgrades are nice because it requires no I/O rewiring. In and out during those jobs :)

CLogix
the
The client is using CitectSCADA thru the RS232 port - so you need a PIC to communicate. I just don't happen to have one lying around... and that's a pain in the butt.

5/05
Processor
Very true.. In this case: 1) the client was putting in a CLogix elsewhere on their plant, 2) the SLC had already grown to an extra rack in a box on top of the PLC cabinet that was hard to get to (no room anywhere else) - the CLogix chassis is more compact, did you notice that?, 3) replacing the CLogix meant they didn't have to carry SLC spares as well as maintain RSLogix500 *and* 5000 and 4) I didn't think about it (and neither did the AB sales guy ;-).
Cameron:-)
Well .. fortunenaly or unfortunenaly it was never passed by me what the costing on systems were. All I have had to do is spec out what. Or had it specd' for me and had to work with them. I'll say that servo control is a bit easier with the contrologix than with the SLC's
Most of the AB suppliers would be glad to price out systems..
st

I would like to thank all of you for the post you made in this thread. I have heard that Clogix is about 40-100% more than a silimilar SLC 500. It is nice to know that the newer technology makes life easier when implenting servos. I will assume that this is also the case with process control systems. Again, thanks for all the input.
MZE