Re: RS232 Link Encryption

yep, but most are on RS-232 serial but only for a few feet of cable before they take a long ride on frame relay or vsat

> looks like quite a bit of interest in this technology by the few who still > > use rs-232 serial comms > > There are actually quite a lot of people still using RS232 and will be for > the forseeable and unforseeable future.. there is simply no better, cheaper, > method of point-to-point comms. > > > do a google search on "aga 12" or "aga 12-1" > > or "clay weston" > > > > AGA 12-1 provides a cryptographic protocol and hardware specification to > be > > used by gas, water and electric SCADA system operators to secure > > communications between remote units and masters -- areas defined by the > > President's February 14, 2003 report entitled, "The National Strategy to > > Secure Cyberspace," as prime targets for terrorism. Rainbow Mykotronx, one > > of the key participants on the AGA 12-1 working group, is currently > > developing products in compliance with the new AGA 12-1 report. (Photo: > >
) > > I guess there is a need for this gear for the amazingly paranoid - but then > that seems to be the world we live in... > > The nature of RS232 SCADA comms is that it is very difficult to "tap into" > without knocking it out long enough to raise alarms - but even if you did, > you still need to *at least* have access to the correct cabling (not just > any old phone line), know which protocol(s) are in use and know the address > of the station(s) you are trying to access, before you can attempt to get > anywhere - basically you need access to the design documentation. > > IMHO, the Utilities in question would be better advised to spend their money > securing their design and operations documentation rather than encrypting > their comms. Choosing some obscure un-supported multi-master/multi-slave > comms protocol should be more than adequate "encryption". > > Cameron:-) > > >
Reply to
-nobody-

That makes it even harder to crack then, doesn't it? PLC protocols are

*not* the sort of thing a crook would expect to find on frame relay, vsat or anything else like that.

multi-master/multi-slave

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

You can buy the RJ45-DB25 converters off-the-shelf too! And 'straight-through' or 'null-modem' simply depends upon how you feed the UTP into the crimper. Works a treat.

If you are worried about interference you could use probably use STP instead, but thus far I've never needed to.. You should get at least 15 metre runs in UTP with no errors.

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough