Wireless networks in process plants

The latest Control Engineering has an article about the use of wireless communication in process control. The latest Intech included
an advertising supplement with articles (from vendors) about wireless use.
I would like to know: has anybody here used wireless communications to connect measurements to control rooms?
Does anybody expect to?
Other comments?
Thanks, John Shaw www.jashaw.com/pid
Interestingly enough, I have come across a couple of aircraft refuelling operations at major airports interested in using wireless for remote Emergency Stop buttons in their vehicles.
Making it failsafe is an issue that apparently can be overcome, but I am still waiting to find out how..
Cameron:-)

I've got several loops running wireless, transmit on exception or deadband exceedances. Perfect application, transmitter at point A, valve at point B with currently inaccessible terrain in between.
I am using a brand called ELpro. Advertised 5 mile range, 20 miles with repeaters. I have 7 nodes installed. They have enough info to determine loop integrity. These are on semi-monitored areas with alarms to note when intervention is required.
Have had a single battery failure the drew down the power supply.
On 27 Jul 2003 17:44:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@jashaw.com (John Shaw) wrote:

Add "solar power" at the instrument and you'd really have a "smart" transmitter.

Wouldn't work in hazardous areas, but used often for remote pumpstations, etc..
How would it make it "smart"?
Cameron:-)

Smart as in, "That is a really smart idea."
message

their
power a

instrument - and

"That
...or else winter comes to the North Country, and using solar power at the village water tank to send the level by radio isn't such a brilliant idea after all. Every time it snows, the PV panels quit charging, so a crew has to go up there to sweep them clear. With only eight hours of daylight and no direct sunlight for a day or two, the batteries don't get enough charge time so they run jumper cables from the truck into the shed. At these temperatures, the battery capacity has dropped so the radio won't run for three days on a full charge, so the village installs a propane-fired heater in the shed. Finally, the trees keep growing and shading the panel.
BTDT, Mike

Then what you *really* need in this case would be an RTG... it sounds like it's cold enough! But I don't think the Greenies would happy if they found out.
Cameron:-)
Mounting the panel on a pole makes it harder to steal, but, up here in the North it makes it harder to brush off the snow. Like the poor guy I saw on a snow covered roof brushing the snow off a satellite dish. Of course, its was the Super Bowl!
John

Would panel heaters work??
Cameron:-)

mounted
Is this a 21st century version of the "hole in the bucket" scenario?
Bruce.
Cameron Dorrough wrote:

Add to the solar panel a big funnel feeding a snow wheel with backup wind generator all powering the xtr and you might get 24x365 service. Ghost