How to Start Practice....

I wanted to reply to this with emphasis on Nate's comments.
It should be known that a good technical college course is NOT
beneath anybody who wants a job. The attitude that technical colleges are for idiots is what keeps young, 'would be' engineers unemployed. The key to this comment is "a good technical college course". I have a BSc (Physics) and a Control Engineering Diploma from a local college. What got me my job? I'm sure if you ask my employer, they will tell you it was a combination of both. My going to university and getting a degree gives potential employers evidence that I can do the university thing. My going to college gave me the hands-on, jump into a job and hit the ground running, experience. There is a definate stigma about going to college (at least here in Ontario). The company I work for has a very high percentage of Technologist.
As for Walter's post about the project, I agree to a certain extent, depending on what sort of work you want. I don't think that doing a project at home will really do much for you. If you want to get into DSP and small scale control (>60-100Hz), then go ahead and program some PIC or Motorolla MCU's. If you want to get into industrial control, then what sort of project are you thinking to do that will give you necessary experience? The equipment you would need would cost a small fortune and you would be better served by going to school (college). There are several colleges that offer courses on weekends and nights.
The two problems that I have found with university graduates (myself included). One is that they think everything can be found in a book. It's not until you start working that you realize the only book-like materials you need are manuals. The second problem? University graduates expect to get a job out of school making the big $$. I took a job right out of school making peanuts because I knew it would allow me to work with my hands and my employer was paying for very expensive training.
My recommendation is this. Right out of school, you probably won't be able to take a project from cradle to grave. Most projects have many elements to them. One important element is drawings! Learn AutoCad (or the equivalent). You can start contributing right away if you can handle drawings. This gets your foot in the door. Get some trial software (if you can afford the full blown versions then get them) like RSLogix (Allen Bradley) or Cimplicity (GE Fanuc) or Seimens ....whatever. Learn how to program. The problem with this is you can't execute your logic. There is a nice little simulator at www.thelearningpit.ca that looks and feels like RSLogix. The key to being a definite hire is being able to offer something to the prospective employer. Don't expect an employer to hire you just because you have a degree and are unemployed. Learn how to draft (better than you already can) and right there you at least have something to offer.
Andy
True, true : )
Only the page is: http://www.thelearningpit.com /
pojemnik_na snipped-for-privacy@go2.pl (Kot Behemot) wrote in message