Re: Recommendations for a satellite modem

Hi there,

> > We make PLC based systems with telemetry (ethernet, GSM modem or PSTN > modem) fitted so that we or the customer can support them remotely. > Our requirements are: > > 1. Connection via RS232 serial port > 2. Control via AT commands (not essential but it would help) > 3. Suitable for use in Canada. Ideally also suitable for use in the UK > (for our setup and testing) and Mexico (for another potential customer)

On

you will found a GSM modem. With beginning of Sep. 2003 you can get it as a triband GSM 900 / 1800 /1900.

Best regards Meff

Reply to
Meff

Chris, you didn't say what sort of data throughput you were looking for - I'm assuming you can get away with 2400baud..

If there really is no terrestrial way of doing it (microwave, short-wave radio, etc.), you would probably be looking at an Inmarsat-M service (you will have A, B C, M & M4 in Canada). A Google search on "Inmarsat-M" yields:

I have used 'sat-M before, but not on land and the $$ required was huge!

Cameron:-)

Reply to
Cameron Dorrough

Unfortunately 9600baud+ (ever the optimist :-))

A Google search on "Inmarsat-M"

Thanks Cameron, I'll have a look at the links. Unfortunately we're about a 6 hour flight from the customer so a site visit is tricky. The customer has specified he needs satellite because of the (very) remote location. They reckon they have a satellite modem on another system that costs 25 dollars a month (?), so I'm trying to find out about that system. Unfortunately its vacation time so i'm having difficulties getting answers

Thanks,

Chris.

Reply to
chris squire