Sandpaper grits - What progression to use?

    I want to remove scratches on a kife, as well a reshape the bevel. What progression of sandpapers should I use before putting it
on a buffening wheel. And, which buffing compound should I use?
I have white, black, redish, and brown, and I don't have any idea what to use with what.
And any good places to get buffing supplies?
Hemi
che3ck any jewlery supplies site
Zak's in new york--also ganoskin site ( something like that is a place where you can post your buffing questions
the brown buffing compound is probably red rouge--used for final polishing
hth