Tumbling stainless

I have some stainless manifolds that I would like to polish up by tumbling. I saw some 12 inch PVC the other day and thought that would
make a good tumbling barrel. However, that stuff is expensive.
I was thinking about capping each end, running a rod through it and mounting it on my lathe. Turn it on low overnight and see what happens.
Any thoughts on cheap sources of 12 inch diameter pipe, or other alternatives?