240 volts

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 13:47:07 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> |> | Sigh. The reasons are VERY well laid out in older TV design |> |> | handbooks. Maybe a little reading will open your eyes? |> |>

Who's sarcasm is the more subtle, eh?

|> | 5 and or 10 MHz have been the in house reference for decades. The |> | first frequency counters acceptable for TV use were built with ovenized |> | oscillators that produced at least one of these frequencies. The most |> | common counter was the HP 5245L with the proper front end plug in. |> |> And? | | | And what? Either ask a question or shut up, troll.

How does what you said apply? Why don't you connect it to what was being talked about?

|> | Why is it people like you, who have NEVER done the work talk down to |> | those who have? |> |> What work? Have you _designed_ a complete TV encoding and transmission |> system from the ground up? Can you even do the Fourier transforms (among |> other things), needed to understand the signals and spectrum energy needed |> to make the design effective? | | | Phil, some people are intuitive, and can see how things work. Others | need a pencil to take a crap.

You also need some paper with that pencil.

Fine, whatever you say.

|> If you think I do that, then be specific and to the point. There is no |> need to make personal attacks. You have done that a lot, as have a small |> handful of others on Usenet. One of them even posts here a lot. | | | Did you ever think that they are doing because you are wrong?

Did you ever think that maybe you ought to just point out specifically what you think is wrong, when someone posts something you think is wrong, and include what you think is right? And do that post as a direct followup to the specific post that has what you think was wrong.

|> | You really have no clue, do you? In most burst circuits, more that |> | two cycles difference, and it will not be pulled to the subcarrier |> | frequency. Do you have a studio grade sync generator, a broadcast |> | quality waveform monitor, or a broadcast grade vectorscope? |> |> You seem to be the one with no clue. | | | So, you have never looked at what your design is capable of? That is | exactly what I expected

Why would I have broadcast grade studio equipment at home?

|> Two cycles difference of what? Or do you mean 2 Hz? Well, I have news |> for you ... an oscillator that would naturally oscillate at 2 Hz from |> the transmitted signal can be pulled to that signal. Sure, it will |> slip between burst pulses. But at 2 Hz difference, it's not that much. |> It would be about 0.04576 degrees of phase by the time the next burst |> comes along. You wouldn't even notice the color shift from left to |> right. | | | Ok. sure. yeah. | | | You have no clue, phil. The chroma would change from the left to the | right side of the screen if the burst oscillator isn't closer to the | expected frequency. You don't think so, but I've worked with several | video directors who could see that across the room. The burst is used | to fine tune the phasing, and the tint control is used to manually trim | it. It sets the center frequency, and if you were right, there would be | no way to set the tint.

Yes it would change. I never said it would not. But I did the calculations and the amount of change (0.04576 degrees of phase) is so small it would most likely not even make a one bit difference if the resultant color was digitized.

Maybe you are talking about an oscillator that is off way more than 2 Hz?

| What directions? A lot of components were obsolete, and very little | documentation had survived over the years. I had schematics, and parts | lists with RCA stock numbers, but RCA was out of the broadcast | business. It required thinking on your feet, and being able to redesign | some stages to work. Tell me where you would find a RF component that | hadn't been built in 20 years, and the old one was burnt beyond | recognition? What would you do if some dumb ass had brazed the custom | made brass fittings in the cooling circuit to the copper pipe, over some | bad solder. Without them, the transmitter was scrap.

And did you have to do math? Vector math? Trig? I wonder what part you would have failed at if you had been called on to do it.

| Small potatoes. Have you designed an FQPSK encoding system, and the | decoding system? Hell, I've designed and built test fixtures that were | more complex. NTSC encoders were done with a handful of tubes and a | delay line for the sync. have you ever designed video amps with a 3 dB | point at 40 MHz, and less than .5 dB ripple over the entire pass band?

And yet you don't know how many degrees of phase change take place between two sine waves only 2 Hz apart in frequency over the time a one video line?

| I suppose you'll be bragging abut designing buggy whips, too? The | large semiconductor manufacturers have obsoleted their NTSC chipsets, | because of HDTV. No one will be designing any new NTSC encoders. Have | you designed and built a low phase noise synthesizer to track deep space | probes? It operated in three adjacent segments to cover 370 MHz to 520 | MHz continuous. All the math in the world wouldn't predict all the | quirks in a design like that. A lifetime of experience does. Simple | things, like changing from an uncased disk capacitor to a SMD part of | better quality caused the phase noise to shoot through the roof. All | the math in the world wouldn't explain it, but being VERY familiar with | RF PC board design made it obvious. Something that the other engineers | overlook, because they had no hands on experience with that design. The | large Vias that had been used to mount the uncased ceramics had to be | filled, all the way to prevent them from being low value inductors in | the ground plane.

Sure, experience helps. But getting math wrong can still destroy any design project.

|> No I have not matched a set of 16 6146 tubes. This relates to understanding |> the color subcarrier how? | | | Phil, you don't understand much of anything. If that distributed | amplifier isn't balanced, the chroma doesn't get to the modulator. The | burst was the highest frequency passed by the video amplifier, and | mismatched tubes cause a loss of response at the higher frequencies, and | some phase shift.

So if those 16 tubes are not perfectly matched, no signal gets out at all? Maybe you need a whole different approach.

Why are you using 6146 tubes to pass chroma? Oh, wait, you didn't design this.

|> There's plenty of real work that involves not knowing anything about |> waveforms, signals, or even mathematics. It obviously shows from some |> of the errors you've made in posts that you think you are so great |> because you've have your hands on all this stuff. But you couldn't |> create a mathematical model for how it works. | | | So, you would spend month reinventing hundreds of wheels, rather than | use what you already know? I went through the paper and pencil math | phase at around 13 years old, but I'VE outgrown it. A mathematical | model doesn't do any work. A piece of working equipment does. Your | models don't deal wth real world issues, only what would be in a perfect | universe. We designed and built $80,000 telemetry receivers without all | your excessive math, and they worked so well that we couldn't keep up | with the orders for a year or more. How many multi-million dollar | contracts do you get from your anal retentive math?

Based on the math you've show you can do, I don't want to be anywhere near those hazards.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

To prove your design. That is, unless you're a clueless hack.

i know, you're a "Just Spice It" type.

It depends on the burst circuit. they are not all created equally. Early tube circuits wouldn't lock properly. modern, solid state will lock over a wider range. you haven't specified anything other than you like to do math, which doesn't take into account the subtle variations in the real world. Typical of those with a glass belly button.

getting the math right can lead you down false trails without the proper experience.

i didn't say i did. It was a early '50s RCA design. My job was to dismantle a dead transmitter, move it several hundred miles, and make it work again. No support from RCA was available, so i had to take an existing design with almost no documentation and make it meet FCC specifications again. I did all the math with a TI pocket calculator.

Not a problem. You could never get the proper security clearance to enter the sites where they are used. NASA, NOAA, the European Space Agency and other government agencies had no problems with the design, so whatever you think of it isn't worth a plugless nickel. They don't launch anything at the cape without our products. Another product they use are 'command destruct receivers', but I would think they are about out of them, by now.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

|> Why would I have broadcast grade studio equipment at home? | | | To prove your design. That is, unless you're a clueless hack.

I'm not making designs of broadcast equipment. I'm explaining bits of the math that should be used in such a design. Spending the money on such equipment to prove anything to you is not worth it. You are not worth it.

And clearly it is not worth even posting to you, because you are so closed minded about technology. So I guess I'll stop soon.

|> And did you have to do math? Vector math? Trig? I wonder what part |> you would have failed at if you had been called on to do it. | | | i know, you're a "Just Spice It" type.

See, you really do make up things.

|> | Small potatoes. Have you designed an FQPSK encoding system, and the |> | decoding system? Hell, I've designed and built test fixtures that were |> | more complex. NTSC encoders were done with a handful of tubes and a |> | delay line for the sync. have you ever designed video amps with a 3 dB |> | point at 40 MHz, and less than .5 dB ripple over the entire pass band? |> |> And yet you don't know how many degrees of phase change take place between |> two sine waves only 2 Hz apart in frequency over the time a one video line? | | | It depends on the burst circuit. they are not all created equally. | Early tube circuits wouldn't lock properly. modern, solid state will | lock over a wider range. you haven't specified anything other than you | like to do math, which doesn't take into account the subtle variations | in the real world. Typical of those with a glass belly button.

If it has the correct number of cycles over the long term (a second) then it is in sync. If the number of cycles is different, it is not in sync (and you'll have a funny pattern of changing colors).

|> Sure, experience helps. But getting math wrong can still destroy any |> design project. | | | getting the math right can lead you down false trails without the | proper experience.

You need both.

I bet all those extra digits on that calculators was scary to you.

| Not a problem. You could never get the proper security clearance to | enter the sites where they are used. NASA, NOAA, the European Space | Agency and other government agencies had no problems with the design, so | whatever you think of it isn't worth a plugless nickel. They don't | launch anything at the cape without our products. Another product they | use are 'command destruct receivers', but I would think they are about | out of them, by now.

The government buys lots of junk that can't do the job right. Why is your junk any different?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Bullshit. You don't know what you're talking about, as usual. Try spouting your igonrance on news:sci.electronics.design and they'll ter you a new asshole. Thn you'll have three.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Once again, you'll get inaccurate results because both the error margin in the large number exceeds the value of any of the small numbers, and the order of operations affects the outcome. Also, adding the small numbers first isn't necessarily the best step. Consider when you have to sum an array of numbers where two are nearly equal in magnitude, which is large, but opposite in sign. The rest are small, smaller than the error in either large number. If you add the small numbers first then add in one of the large magnitude numbers, you'll lose many digits of precision. Add in the other large number and you have a sum of similar magitude to the small numbers but with substantial loss of precision. On the other hand, if you add the large numbers first, you'll have a smallish sum where adding the other small numbers makes sense.

Once again, if you are faced with such a situation, you'll have to either:

1) use higher precision variables (double vs. float for example); 2) decide that the smaller numbers fall within the margin of error and should be disregarded; or 3) Find a better way.

By 3) I'll use this as an example: You have an empty dump truck and you know its weight, and you need to know the gross weight of a full truck. The truck scale used to weigh the truck can measure to what? 100 pounds?

10 pounds? You can measure the mass of each grain of sand to the nearest billionth of a gram. Do you: 1) Weigh each grain of sand, add the weights and finally add the weight of the truck? 2) Ignore the weight of the sand (after all, the weight of each grain is much smaller than the error in the weight of the truck)? 3) Do something else, say weigh each scoop of sand as a front end loader loads the truck, or just weigh the full truck?

You are arguing that 1) is the best solution. I claim it's absurd, and I suspect most will agree. 2) isn't correct either, as a trip across a bridge with a weight restriction will show. In this case "something else" is the best choice.

The correct choice is an engineering situation that depends on the situation.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

| Once again, you'll get inaccurate results because both the error margin in | the large number exceeds the value of any of the small numbers, and the

You don't know what the error margin is in this area of discussion because it has not been specified. It might be high or it might be low. But either of the correct ways to add numbers (with enough precision to handle the full dynamic range from the smallest to largest ... or by sorting the numbers to accumulate the sum smallest first to largest last) does not in and of itself introduce any new error. It may well be far more precise than is necessary for a given data set that has error in it. But in cases where the smaller numbers exceed the absolute error of the larger numbers, the smaller numbers are all noise no matter what you do.

| order of operations affects the outcome. Also, adding the small numbers | first isn't necessarily the best step. Consider when you have to sum an | array of numbers where two are nearly equal in magnitude, which is large, | but opposite in sign. The rest are small, smaller than the error in | either large number. If you add the small numbers first then add in one | of the large magnitude numbers, you'll lose many digits of precision.

Of course you will, if the precision of the add is less than the full scale of large and small number together. It is presumed you use addition with enough precision for your needs in the sum. If the sum of all small numbers is still so small it gets lost when the next number is very large, then so be it. What the sorted summation method does is give those small numbers that may have been lost BY THEMSELVES the opportunity to have the sum of the small numbers make it into the level of precision the addition is using.

| Add in the other large number and you have a sum of similar magitude to | the small numbers but with substantial loss of precision. On the other | hand, if you add the large numbers first, you'll have a smallish sum where | adding the other small numbers makes sense.

If you have two large numbers, one positive and one negative, and your level of precision is such that the small numbers would not add in to either of these large numbers, then you would not have these large numbers represented with enough precision to get a sum that had a significance on the scale of the smaller numbers.

This could well argue that you do need mucho precision in the arithmetic. But if the end result only needs a certain level of precision, then all those small numbers are unimportant and these two large numbers add up to zero and that is the correct result in that case.

| Once again, if you are faced with such a situation, you'll have to either: | 1) use higher precision variables (double vs. float for example); | 2) decide that the smaller numbers fall within the margin of error and | should be disregarded; or | 3) Find a better way.

Again, adding sorted numbers works. There certainly are cases where the sum of all the small numbers does not make it into the final sum. But that is not a case of incorrect calculation; it is just a case where they were all too insignificant to affect the final sum. This all presumes the precision of the additions is enough for the final result. If that is not the case, all hope is lost.

| By 3) I'll use this as an example: You have an empty dump truck and you | know its weight, and you need to know the gross weight of a full truck. | The truck scale used to weigh the truck can measure to what? 100 pounds? | 10 pounds? You can measure the mass of each grain of sand to the | nearest billionth of a gram. Do you: | | 1) Weigh each grain of sand, add the weights and finally add the weight of | the truck? | 2) Ignore the weight of the sand (after all, the weight of each grain is | much smaller than the error in the weight of the truck)? | 3) Do something else, say weigh each scoop of sand as a front end | loader loads the truck, or just weigh the full truck? | | You are arguing that 1) is the best solution. I claim it's absurd, and I | suspect most will agree. 2) isn't correct either, as a trip across a | bridge with a weight restriction will show. In this case "something else" | is the best choice.

Don't mix up the methods of measurement with the methods of arithmetic. Your example involves measurement process. That is an entirely different thing.

| The correct choice is an engineering situation that depends on the | situation.

Are you saying this about measurement? Or about calculation?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:23:26 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 22:11:10 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: |> |> |> Why would I have broadcast grade studio equipment at home? |> | |> | |> | To prove your design. That is, unless you're a clueless hack. |> |> I'm not making designs of broadcast equipment. I'm explaining bits of |> the math that should be used in such a design. Spending the money on |> such equipment to prove anything to you is not worth it. | | | Bullshit. You don't know what you're talking about, as usual. Try | spouting your igonrance on news:sci.electronics.design and they'll ter | you a new asshole. Thn you'll have three.

There's no ignorance in what I say. If there was, anyone who wanted to point it out would have been specific and said exactly what was wrong. No one did. A couple of jerks (you being one of them) came along to take pot shots because they have some serious attitude problems. That's all it is.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Ok, if it floats your boat, Phil. Believe that you're the only one in the world who is right. Haven't you noticed that no one is backing you up? A sane person takes that into consideration.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:48:09 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:23:26 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: |> | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |>

You actually think anyone else is following this thread?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Obviously you are. Tell me something, Phil. Do you ever watch the news and see either weather satellite photos, or NASA's live video feeds from space?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:48:04 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:48:09 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: |> | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |>

Of course I am ... I started the thread.

Why don't you ask that question in a thread you start. I don't see how that even connects to this thread.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Of course you don't, but that great video is received with the equipment you dammed in another message. The designs you called garbage. The Microdyne MFR system we built and delivered to Wallops Island Virginia to NOAA replaced the Harris equipment they bought on competitive bid, that had a horrible failure rate. The old Harris system was parted out and sent to their other earth stations. We were to provide onsite engineering and a team of techs to fine tune the system to satisfy the contract.

The pre-wired and tested equipment racks arrived a couple days early. The engineers arrived a day early, and uncrated the equipment that night. They bolted the racks together, and plugged the harnesses back in, they turned it on. They connected it to the existing system's antenna test port, which was -20 db from what that system used. They packed up their tools and went back to their hotel rooms.

When they walked in the next morning, and were met by the facilities manager who told them they were finished, and to go home. Then he said, By the way. Your system locks onto the LEO birds a full five minutes over the horizon.

This was the ONLY system capable of that trick, due to our proprietary Doppler compensation circuits. All of this was designed and built without your anal retentive math. Nothing ever went more than four decimal places, because the best components on the market were 1% capacitors, and .1% resistors. I'm sure anything you designed with your anal retentive ideas would have been absolutely useless, because you would spec parts that had to be all hand selected.

Another thing: A lot of Radio and TV stations still use our old 1100 series C-band equipment, and a lot of CATV headends still have Microdyne equipment in daily use, with the same clear and stable video.

If our designs are so bad, as you claim, why did Scientific Atlanta copy one of our telemetry receiver designs, instead of design their own? Before you try to say it wasn't copied, Scientific Atlanta lost the court case and was forced to stop building their clone.

Once again, you are WRONG.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:13:02 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:48:04 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: |> | |> | Obviously you are. Tell me something, Phil. Do you ever watch the |> | news and see either weather satellite photos, or NASA's live video feeds |> | from space? |> |> Of course I am ... I started the thread. |> |> Why don't you ask that question in a thread you start. I don't see how |> that even connects to this thread. | | | Of course you don't, but that great video is received with the | equipment you dammed in another message. The designs you called

Maybe if there was another design, you would have received the messages even more reliably. Of course, if the design that is chosen works, there would be no incentive to improve on it. Why spend money doing a whole new better design if the poor design now in use accomplishes the goals anyway.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You still don't get it. The design was chosen because it did work better than anything else on the market. Microdyne was THE goto 'engineer to order' company for reliable telemetry equipment. They didn't dicker on the price. All they asked were two simple questions. 'Can you do THIS'?, and 'When can we have it'. There were constant design improvements as newer components and technologies became available, and as older ones became obsolete. You have absolutely no idea what is involved in designing and building modular equipment that is intended for 24/7 use for decades, with little or no downtime. Some contracts were to take early production, 15 year old equipment and update it to the latest rev. Others were to add new capabilities to existing equipment, to save taxpayer money. In some cases it was pulling the usable modules out of an old chassis and starting over in a new one.

Some products were in production for almost 20 years, because they were so reliable. On unit was in constant use for over 30 years by NASA with ZERO maintenance. That was almost 10 years ago, and it may still be working. The cost of that item to the tax payer was down under $2 per day.

Just because you don't like the design methods does not make the design bad. NASA, NOAA and other government agencies have poured over the designs and suggested no changes. They bought millions of dollars worth of the equipment because THEY liked the conservative designs, and the long life they got for their money. Microdyne was started by two engineers and a salesman who quit Defense Electronics to market a better design. They put their former bosses out of business with that new product. They built a multi-million dollar company around that, and had hundreds of employees.

How many people work for you? What equipment have you designed that is in use in space? ZERO? That's what EXACTLY I thought.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:07:08 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 14:13:02 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: |> | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |>

YOU designed this equipment? I think not. Well, maybe one day you might have been able to. But you clearly do not understand enough about math to accomplish that today. You couldn't even come close on figuring out the phase shift over time of 2 very close frequencies (2 Hz apart during the time of 1 TV scan line in the NTSC system).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

A project that size is designed by a team, or it would never make it to market in time. Of course, no one expects you to know this simple fact of engineering. No one cares about you, or your anal retentive crap.

As far as the chroma phase shift, I suppose you know EVERYTHING possible about Quartz crystals? If you did, you would know that they never lock, exactly. The further apart thery are, the more phase noise and chirp occurs. I'll bet you're going to go into great detail about them, but I've seen and used some you'll likely never see, like the 125 MHz FUNDAMENTAL CUT crystals we used in some of our tuner modules. They were in gold based TO-5 cans, as well.

The burst is only availible for seven cycles per horizontal line. The early color burst circuts had to be set up by disabling the burst input, and trimming the oscillator as close as possible to 3.579545 MHz. When the burst was turned back on, you had to fine tune it, to center the tint range to the center of the control's range. If this wasn't followed, the color could gothrough a full 360 degree change in one line, as the set drifted.

Why don't you do the universe a favor by calculating exactly how long it will take your tiny brain to exit the back of your vacuum pack head, when you finally pull the trigger on that .357 magnum if it placed exactly four inches from your unibrow?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:37:34 -0500 Michael A. Terrell wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> YOU designed this equipment? I think not. Well, maybe one day you might |> have been able to. But you clearly do not understand enough about math to |> accomplish that today. You couldn't even come close on figuring out the |> phase shift over time of 2 very close frequencies (2 Hz apart during the |> time of 1 TV scan line in the NTSC system). | | | A project that size is designed by a team, or it would never make it | to market in time. Of course, no one expects you to know this simple | fact of engineering. No one cares about you, or your anal retentive | crap.

I know _you_ don't care. But why is it _you_ need to keep making that point?

| As far as the chroma phase shift, I suppose you know EVERYTHING | possible about Quartz crystals? If you did, you would know that they | never lock, exactly. The further apart thery are, the more phase noise | and chirp occurs. I'll bet you're going to go into great detail about | them, but I've seen and used some you'll likely never see, like the 125 | MHz FUNDAMENTAL CUT crystals we used in some of our tuner modules. They | were in gold based TO-5 cans, as well.

You seem to have some problem understanding locked vs. not locked.

If it is locked, it will have the same number of cycles as the source in the long term. In that case, there is no accumulated phase shift. The phase shift may jitter or wobble around. But it will go back the other way just as much over that long term.

If it is NOT locked, then over the long term, there will be fewer or more cycles, and the phase shift will accumulate.

If the local oscillator is NOT locked, your color will be distorted or constantly changing. For example, if it gains or loses exactly one cycle every field, you'll see the rainbow effect go completely full circle from top to bottom of the screen. If it gains or loses that one cycle every line (or more radical difference), that color will vary full cycle from left to right. If it gains or loses exactly one cycle every 10 seconds (rather close, but still not in sync), you'll see the color cycle around slowly over those 10 seconds back to the same as it was 10 seconds ago.

You better have it locked, or your color will suck.

If your crystal oscillator can't lock, then your color will suck.

If you have an oscillator that shifts in phase by N degrees leading then shifts back to N degrees lagging, and back again, over some period of time, but never accumulates or loses any cycles over the long term, then it *IS* locked. It may be locked poorly, but it is locked. The quality can be measured by how far the phase shift goes and the modulation of the phase shift.

| The burst is only availible for seven cycles per horizontal line. | The early color burst circuts had to be set up by disabling the burst | input, and trimming the oscillator as close as possible to 3.579545 | MHz. When the burst was turned back on, you had to fine tune it, to | center the tint range to the center of the control's range. If this | wasn't followed, the color could gothrough a full 360 degree change in | one line, as the set drifted.

That is a case where it loses or gains a full cycle. That is NOT locked, at least not to the proper subcarrier. If it happens like this over the course of just one line, as you say, then it is locked TO A SIDEBAND of the subcarrier, plus or minus the horizontal frequency from it. That would be about 3563811 Hz or 3595280 Hz for NTSC. The crystal would have to be quite a ways off frequency (at least half the horizontal frequency from the subcarrier) to get locked out there. A good RC circuit could do better than that. The reason to use a crystal is so that there is very little phase noise across the line. Ideally, it will be very close in phase when it gets to the next burst, preferrably within a degree or two (any more than that and you'd see the phase drift as color shift). Then the next burst can pull it back to being in phase, again.

How many degrees of phase drift do you think is OK?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

You still haven't told us WHICH burst circuit you are using. There are a lot of variables, and no single answer to your vague question.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

| snipped-for-privacy@ipal.net wrote: |> |> How many degrees of phase drift do you think is OK? | | You still haven't told us WHICH burst circuit you are using. There | are a lot of variables, and no single answer to your vague question.

I'm not talking about a specific circuit.

You can talk about any circuit you wish. Just be specific about whether it will produce exactly the same number of cycles out to match the source it is supposed to be locked to, or if it will produce some finite number of additional or fewer cycles over some specified period of time (such as a video line time, or video field time), or if it will produce and output that cannot be characterized as having some known relationship in number of cycles relative to the locking source.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

In other words, you have no clue how rthe different circuits work. That's no surprise.

You started this crap, so it is YOUR problem to find a circuit and analyze it. Do all the math you want, but you won't get an answer without a prototype.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell