Electrical generators for lazy dummies

Dear all,
I have been looking in vain now for a source that explains in a slightly patronizing non-caffeine manner (the dummy part) the very
fundamentals of calculating electrical generators - i.e. the formulas that let me know how many windings of what material will result in what voltage, and so on - all the way to a small simple functional hobby generator (possibly powered by having my neighbours dog run in circles in the backyard).
What I am looking for are the basic formulas and how they interconnect that allows me to model in an excel sheet the different ways to build a small-scale generator without actually having to build it (the lazy bit).
I am not an electrical engineer and have read the first chapters in Giblisco's Electricity and Electronics.
Pew!
| I have been looking in vain now for a source that explains in a | slightly patronizing non-caffeine manner (the dummy part) the very | fundamentals of calculating electrical generators - i.e. the formulas | that let me know how many windings of what material will result in | what voltage, and so on - all the way to a small simple functional | hobby generator (possibly powered by having my neighbours dog run in | circles in the backyard).
Gone are the days of using squirrels/gerbils/hamster on a belt track. Don't they use oxen walking in a circle in some other countries? So now we get dogs to do that by dangling the unused squirrel in front of them?