Lazy programmers?

As I understand it, all of the help files are "registered" in the registry, So why can't the help file be a part of the SW upgrade package, instead of being a separate zip file? Is this lazy programming or is there a reasonable answer to this?

Reply to
pete

I believe its done this way so a person can pick and choose which files they would like to download and/or install.If you,re on a slow connection you probably wouldn't want to download 120 megs of help info, 90 megs of shaders, and 60 megs of samples.Just to check out the new release. The shipped CDs will have everything on them as normal.

Is this a reasonable answer?

Reply to
Rob Rodriguez

Rob,

I think he's talking about regular service packs, not pre-release or beta.

I've often wondered the same thing.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

The way they do it makes a whole lot of sense to me.

We have machines set on a variety of service packs as I am a firm believer in if it's working just fine, leave it alone. So along comes SP4.0 and I want to grab it. I download the 4.0ev - 4.0 SP, the eDrawing update, and the 4.0 help file. But I also need the 0.0 - 4.0 SP update, the 1.1 - 4.0 update, etc. Why would I want to re-download embedded identical help files several times? All it takes to install them is to unzip them to the SolidWorks2005 folder - no big deal at all.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

There probably is the intent to allow a user with a slow internet connection to opt not to download the Help Files, for example.

If the emphasis is on download efficiency, then the SolidWorks crew needs to do more to identify the versions of the available files so that time (especially for a slow connection) is not wasted by copying and installing updates which have already been applied.

I don't understand why there can't be date stamp and version information listed alongside the file size. I've often downloaded and installed files which were flagged (as needed for the Service Pack Update) but contained nothing new...

It should also be pointed out that, if a user is applying Service Packs incrementally (i.e. 0 to 1.0 to 2.0 to 3.0) then there's no need to apply the new Help Files or eDrawings updates until the most recent SP is patched.

Wayne Tiffany wrote:

Reply to
POH

Now here is a simple way of doing it, use the windows update method and then you could choose which files you want it to update and to what level! Seems simple to me, lol

Reply to
pete