SW2008-Installer

Had a rash of CTDT today on some simple stuff so it is time to uninstall and reinstall or rather was. Uninstalling 2008 is not what you would expect. If you have other things installed like eDrawings or DWGEditor you have to uninstall the whole lot to get SW to uninstall. This suggests that what is really showing up in "Add/Remove Programs" is some kind of super installer, not the installer itself. And when it is done it leaves a heck of a lot of garbage laying around, be it folders or registry entries no longer needed. When it was done there were a lot of problems with the machine. It's kind of like some bad guests that when they leave, they leave the house a shambles.

I have some theories about why this is happening. For one, Symantec Corporate AV is running and can't be shut off. Second, IT has a lot of Group Policies going on that I am not privy to, but change the characteristics of the machine. And finally SW is becoming less and less hardware friendly. While SW is trying to find it's way on my hardware the seat of NX I have is sitting there on the other screen grinning and saying, "Come on SW, you can do it." Strangely NX shrugs off the AV software and the GPs and just keeps tickin' while SW, tempermental beast that it is, provides a wonderful user experience right up to the RX prompt.

Oh well, tommorrow is another day.

TOP

PS

I decided to have another go at an Administrative image. Two and a half hours later I was ready to install. About 1 minute into the install it bombed with something about regedit. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about that?

Reply to
TOP

Sorry to hear this :s

I just keep getting confirmed by the old rule of thumb, dont touch it till SP 3

To try and "answer" some... I=B4ve been told that the image for 2008 dosnt work like the 2007 one, and you need to do a lot of tricks to make it work. Since I wont install 2008 till at least SP 3, I havent asked the list with those tricks from our VAR yet.. They do however claim that it can work. (I know this aint helping you a lot)

Reply to
Ronni

I came in this morning and got it to install. The IT-elf was working on my box last night and I have to find out what he did.

What I did find this morning was that regedt32 was necessary to allow SW to create certain keys. Permissions had to be set. regedt32 is regedit on steroids and allows permission control and other things on the registry. These were hit or miss changes on permissions for certain folders in the software/solidworks tree as needed by the installer.

Turning off the virus checker auto scan seems to be a real important thing. In my case it is Symantec Corporate's autoscan including network scan. I am seeing up to 85% network utilization after doing this and it really speeds up creation of the image, or in this case application of the service pack.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

Paul,

That's because NX and Pro-E don't use the registry for EVERYTHING. They're written to be platform independent at the source level, something SW would have been wise to do years ago.

The windows registry based structure is probably the cause of 90% of the problems with SW. Give me a couple config files to edit anyday. The registry method SUCKS and always has, especially to the extent SW has taken it.

Mark

Reply to
MM

This isn't going to be much immediate help but I have lost more data and have had more problems with Symantic Software. And this is besides my system running like a slug with Norton AV. I now consider it the "ultimate virus". Not only dies it do damage but the victims actually pay for it. I tried to remove Norton AV on a machine once and after days of fooling with it, it only took 20 minutes to boot up. I ended up trashing the whole system. I have even reformated HD's only to find out that Norton was still magically present..... talk about a virus!

If you have Norton, I would not be complaining about SW having loading problems. SW 2008 may or may not be the real problem.... good luck!

EdT

Reply to
Ed

Compound this by the fact that there are actually two Norton/Symantec AV products, one for consumers and one for corporate. The consumer version is the one that behaves the most like a virus, and the corporate edition just slows things down. I am dealing with corporate. As I look in task manager RTSCAN generally has the highest CPU times and the highest IO values next to SW. Turning it off during install greatly increased the speed at which the administrative image was built and installed itself.

A very good point was made in CAD Managers Boot Camp last year. If a piece of software will not install properly when the AV software is ACTIVE, then there is a PROBLEM with the software not the AV software although I say this a bit tongue in cheek regarding Symantec.

When I last evaluated AV software I did something that you don't hear much on this forum. I checked which AV software actually did the best job protecting against viruses, worms and trojans. Although Symantec was high on the list, Anti-Vir was even higher and did a better job at catching new viruses. From my own experience Anti-Vir also runs better with SW. But many IT people swear by Symantec so SW users have to live with it.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

That is a good point. And now that XML is well established why couldn't SW do all that it does in the registry with an XML file(s). From what I understand MSoft is moving away from compound files for Word and Excel. That will leave SW an orphaned technology to reside in in addition to the registry. We can only hope that SE or Inventor touts using XML soon. :)

On my standalone laptop I didn't have any of these problems. So it is pretty clear that SW installer is not playing well with IT's GPOs.

TOP

Reply to
TOP

We have always used Sophos AV software. Besides getting high scores for detection rates, it has never interfered with SWX.

Jim

Reply to
Buddy Jim

It is time for management in corporations with SolidWorks to consider shutting off the 3D design into an isolated workgroup without any Internet or corporate mail & without all those corporate AV products, and provide the users with a $500 PC for their other uses which is on the corporate network.

Dealing with slowing down your most critical creative design workers because they don't want to provide FAST and reasonably priced solutions it just the pits. I can buy a cheapo HP or a good Intel Mac Mini & setup WinXP (or Linux or BSD or...) on it and run whatever needs to be done for $500-700, when I steal a spare small LCD, keyboard & mouse from the bum box (or share a screen).

This blind-sided attitude that each user must have only one machine, no matter how badly we have to cripple it, and then deal with much time wasting on many levels for highly paid people which wastes more time each quarter than the extra PC costs is absolutely ludicrous.

Sheesh - Bo

Reply to
Bo