Match Profile

I have an extruded part where one edge has a complex profile. I want to create a mating part to the profile edge (let's call the existing profile the male and I want to create the matching female profile). I've tried to use the existing part to do an extrude cut into the new part, but I can't get this to work.

-Is it possible to use the profile edge to extrude cut into a new part, to get a matching (mating) profile?

-If so, how does one do this?

-If not, is there a way to get a matching (mating) profile on an new part? (Obviously I could redraw the same profile, but it's complex and I'm hoping to make use of the geometry already created).

BTW I'm learning SW and I've asked other questions in this group, and gotten good responses. I appreciate those who take the time to help out!

Reply to
gus

You have several options.

First, you can put the existing extruded part in an assmebly and create the mating part within the context of the assembly. Using this approach, you can either reference the edges of the existing extrusion or the sketch(es) used to create the extrusion. You can extrude using the sketch created from the existing part thereby creating the desired geometry directly. Alternatively, you can create a simple extrusion of an appropriate size and perform an extrude cut using the sketch created from the existing part. Either approach should work fine.

Second, you can copy the original extrusion to a new part and edit the features that created the complex edge to cut away the opposite side of the part. Depending upon how your original part was setup, this approach can range from simple to fairly time consuming. This approach works very well when you have cuts that are performed using cut lines as opposed to closed loops.

Third, you can put the existing extrusion in an assmebl, create a new part of an appropriate size, put the new part in the assembly, and use the cavity tool to subtract the volume of the original extrusion from the new part. Some people find using the cavity tools a bit more complicated, but once you get the hang of it they are very useful. Read the help files for an explanation of their proper use.

John Eric Voltin