-48 volt DC Question

I know that most telco switch rooms run their equipment from a common DC supply (at least in the US).

I understand the advantages of a common supply. But what is the advantage of using a negative rather than a positive supply voltage?

Reply to
The Streets

A Hamlet*:

Galvanic corrosion takes place on the anodic surface. With a positive supply voltage, this means that the any part of the wiring with leakage to the ground plane will corrode. With a negative supply voltage, the ground plane will become pitted and corroded, in the presence of a leakage path and an electrolye. This is often less of a problem as there is usually far more of it to corrode..

*Wild stab in the dark...
Reply to
Palindrome

Bet you'll find more 24v than 48v now.

Reply to
Rack

Most larger switches (phone systems like sbc or att and ect use) are negative 48 volts....

Reply to
Phillip Devoll

*All* larger switching systems are...

Reply to