Alternative DMMs to Fluke?

I have some Omega test equipment, it is pretty good. They are not as solid as a Fluke or a Tek, after all they are knock-offs.

Reply to
Joseph2k

temperature,

I am not familier with the Fluke version of the Omega HHM290. Could you point out the correct model number to me so I can buy the Fluke version next time.

Reply to
Spokesman

Mastech. I have one and have also used other ones of Mastech, and I find them high quality products.

Reply to
simo.kaltiainen

Greetings,

IMHO, the most important thing about a Fluke meter is not the quality of its build, but where it is built.

Sure, Flukes cost more, but there built in the USA (AFAIK). You're getting some of your money back in the taxes they pay (assuming you're an American, an Iraqi, or a North Korean (eventually)).

You may not like how much Fluke charges, but you can be reasonably sure that they're not going to use the extra cash to invade Taiwan or launch nuclear missiles at YOU.

Back to your question:

Although I don't think its made anymore, my favorite DMM was a Simpson

467. Very convenient for field/industrial use when "worn" with the high quality, real leather carrying case (which allowed the meter to dangle from your neck -- look out for door knobs!). It also had a swell set of features.

Although I do own a Fluke, I generally use a cheap, but well liked (non-ROC) VOM at work, and a Triplett 630-PLK at home. (I think I'm the last person that has ever bought one new, but, as they're still for sale, you can beat me if you wish:

I've grow ever more fond of VOMs with age, and ever less fond of DMMs. Something about the way their digits keep staring at me whilst they drain, albeit slowly, their batteries disquiets me.

If your keen on investigating your meter choices, you might want to look around the eclectic collection offered (mostly exclusively) on line at Electronix Express/RSR Electronics

Not only do they have what may be the worst FET-VOM ever built, but they also offer a Triplett Model 3250 DMM with a Head-up-display. (You wear a transparent monocle upon which your test results are displayed.) Anyone ever try it?

Cordially, Richard Kanarek

Reply to
Richard Kanarek

How is that different than a Mazda pickup truck or IBM Personal Computer, or any number of a thousand different every day items? Sheesh, indeed!

Reply to
Keith

Not made from foreign parts. *Made* in China and Taiwan. BTW, IBM Personal Computers aren't even IBM. The brand was sold to Lenovo (for five years). Same for GE appliances and...

No, a Ford sticker. Mazda light trucks are made in Ford plants in the US. The 'B' series trucks are Ford Rangers. I suppose it would freak you out to know that Volvo and Jaguar are also Ford and Saab (the cars, anyway) are GM.

So you're as crooked as those you bitch about. BTW, the US has laws against such nonsense and I'm surprised the EU doesn't as well.

Re-branding is not fraud. You think Sears shouldn't be allowed to sell "Die-Hard" batteries or "Kenmore" appliances?

Reply to
Keith Williams

It's not, and that's the problem: When you have company A that simply slaps their name on company B's product, obtaining service & support for that product is typically much more difficult than if you simply bought the product from company B to begin with. Additionally, the purchase price from company A is often higher than going the direct route!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Wow, the test leads run right to your temples when you wear that thing! I'm not sure if it's for real or a Trek/Borg-inspired joke!

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

If you bought company B's product, you go to company B for support. If that company is a fly-by-nighter, you shouldn't have bought it. Because it is the same widget as Company A's is meaningless. You didn't buy company A's, even if they're the same hunk-o-hardware. If company A's was cheaper, you're a fool for buying the same thing with company B's sticker on it. There is no fraud going on here at all. It's all aboveboard. The problem is not with re-badging but with your perception. TANSTAAFL.

Reply to
Keith Williams

This site is a bit hard to maneuver, but an interesting one, and I bought a Vellman portable oscilloscope last month for $125, the cheapest price I could find, and I also got a free Vellman DMM to boot..

Gee a Tripplet analog for $260. I have the old 630 right here.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Hi Keith,

You're illustrating exactly the problem with Tektronix (and other companies such as IBM) here: They have a reputation for a certain level of quality & support, so you can't blame the customer when the company starts re-labeling someone else's product, sells them, and then can no longer provide their traditional level of service.

Sure, it's above board and not fradulent -- it's just disappointing. I don't think anyone here *is* claiming something truly evil is going on, just that it's sad to see traditionally excellent companies go down this path in a manner somewhat akin to "selling out."

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

No, but I can just see someone using that in combination with the voice recognition software/hardware that Tektronix sells for their TDS series oscilloscopes

! :-)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Let's go back! The OP's bitching because he bought a FLUKE, with Company B's label on top. He *DID NOT* buy a Fluke. The IBM deal is quite like the GE deal. They're selling their name as part of the unit sold. The name is worth money. ...and they're still servicing the products *THEY* sell. I suppose you don't think GoodYear should sell tires under the GoodYear name in Sears.

In the end, it's up to the consumer to know what he's buying.

Why? He bought a Company B product that is the same as a company A, but paid for Company B. Why is that disappointing?

You're wrong. He was claiming *FRAUD* (until I challenged this absurdity), which clearly it's not.

Reply to
Keith

I agree. I've had Fluke 77s for fifteen years. The only reason I bought a bunch of $4 HarborFreights was that my Flukes had a habit of taking a walkabout. One hasn't been seen in 12 years. THe HF's can now go walk. BTW, I've only replaced the batteries in the 77s once in those fifteen years. They still work quite well.

Sure. At $3-4 each...

Reply to
Keith

Thus spake Keith:

OP, here.

I have 73 and 77. Both work quite well, also. The only reason I'm looking for another meter is that neither of these are true RMS reading meters. Mfr of equipment I'm servicing is spec'ing pulsed DC voltage as an RMS value. I can't accurately measure this with these meters.

I've been quite happy with these meters, but I need true RMS measurement, and my eyes would appreciate larger display and a backlight. I've been eying the Fluke 87, but would like to at least see what *doesn't* measure up to the Fluke before I plunk down the $$.

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Honda takes a bit of tin, bashes it into shape, installs a Japanese engine with all made in Japan electronic components. A Japanese radio, Japanese brakes. and calls it " Made in North America"

Reply to
Spokesman

Thus spake Ken G.:

Looked at the Wavetek (owned by Fluke) MeterMan DMMs. I like them. I think I might buy a $150 one. I'll keep my Fluke 73 & 77 for everyday measurement (they never quit), but when I need "true RMS" I'll use the MeterMan.

Reply to
DaveC

? "The Real Andy" ?????? ??? ?????? news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I don't think I would ever buy such an expensive DMM, especially for carrying it along with me in my tool box (I primarily use it to check if a circuit is open or not, if a fuse or heating element is blown, or the leaking resistance of a heat element, when it has got humid).I primarily use a simple 15 euros DMM (DT 830 C -no brand- with also a thermocouple)and a Hung Chang analogue one at home.

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering,freelance electrician FH von Iraklion-Kreta, freiberuflicher Elektriker dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

I have a question. Why do they make lap tops so you have to keep the battery installed to run it? I have an old compaq, that doesn't have a transformer, and it doesn't care if the battery is in there or not. Is there a way to bypass this problem?

Reply to
Dana

Your Compaq has a transformer, inside.

As far as I know, not all modern laptops require a battery to be installed in order to run from their wall transformer.

You may have a rather low-powered transformer that can charge the battery but cannot always run the laptop by itself. It uses the battery like a holding tank for moments when the laptop requires more current. What kind of laptop are we talking about?

Reply to
mc