Are there any new inventions for converting solar power to electricity

I heard from a friend that somebody made an instrument/component that multiplies current. This thing takes whatever kind of current available, 110, DC voltage,
solar power, and boosts what electrical current there is to as much as 5 times. I'd like to know what this thing is & how I can find out more about it.
On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 07:18:02 -0500, boofis

Google "transformer" and skip the entries about toys and movies.