Calculating Cable Loss

Hi,

I am trying to figure out the calculation for the cable loss of a 30 ft cable that is 3 phase and has 4 cables per phase. The cable resistance is .0000177 per feet with 25.88 amps running through it. The answer is 0.695 kw loss.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Troy

Reply to
Troy

Yep, someone wrote the question down incorrectly.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Try Neher-McGrath for an engineer's analysis. For simple resistance use NEC Chapt 9 Table 8 resistances and P=3DI*I*R for single phase. The NM paper and other papers can be downloaded in PDF format from:

Gerald Newton

This appears to be a homework problem of the most elementary kind. If you cannot solve it based upon the book and the instructor, think of a different line of study.

The only hint I will throw out is that maybe you do not know the definition of a cable bvs a conductor. Your description of the problem is not stated well.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

The answer given is bullshit. Go back and check the data,. R per phase =0.000017*30=5.1*10^-4 ohms At 25,88 A (such meaningless accuracy) the loss is 0.34 watts per phase for 3 phases, (balanced so 4th conductor ahs 0 current) the total loss is 1 watt.

Try thinking- it helps.

Reply to
Don Kelly

Oops! I was using the wrong voltage to calculate it. I thought this cable was located on the high side of the breaker, is was accurately on the low side.

Thanks for you help.

Reply to
Troy