Charging digital camera battery

I just bought a Casio EXlim camera. It comes with a docking station and a small power supply that plugs into the docking station. (It can also plug into the camera directly.)

So - do I leave it in the docking station for extended periods, or do I put it in until the thing is charged, and then take it out? There's a lithium battery in the camera, but I have no info on Casio's charging scheme, nor do I find a recommendation in the instructions as to which approach is best.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Ed, did you read the instructions?!?

So - do I leave it in the docking station for extended periods, or do I put it in until the thing is charged, and then take it out? There's a lithium battery in the camera, but I have no info on Casio's charging scheme, nor do I find a recommendation in the instructions as to which approach is best.

Ed

Reply to
Brian

Generally it is not good to leave the battery on charge for more than about 12 hours from flat.

Does the charging indicator light flash or go steady after several hours. If so, that is probably an indication that it is fairly well charged.

Reply to
Rusty

Yes - see the last sentence in my original post. If it's in there, I missed it.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

It glows solid green when fully charged. When it is completely discharged, it glows solid red or orange. But that observation is based on the initial charge immediately after purchase. I'll need to take a bunch of photos to see what it does when it is partly discharged. Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Found an answer here:

Q6. When not using the camera, is it best to leave it on the USB cradle with its battery installed? A6. The USB cradle has a protection circuit, which keeps it from becoming overcharged, so you can keep it on the USB cradle for up to one month without any problem. If you do not plan to use the camera for a longer period, however, it is recommended that you use up all remaining battery power, and then remove the battery from the camera. Storing a lithium ion battery in a charged state for a long time can cause the battery to deteriorate.

More important - the site allows you to download the manual. I figured it would be good to have a softcopy, so I downloaded. Wow - the manual that came with the camera is essentially useless. It has 18 pages in English, then repeats those pages in other languages. I thought that's what I was downloading - not so. I got a 208 page detailed instruction manual that includes the recommendation in the FAQ Q/A and all kinds of other good stuff.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr