Compressor Installation Comments

We have a compressor mounted on top of it's own receiver. The compressor itself consists of two single phase compressors feeding into a receiver. The single compressors operate on a duty/assist/standby mode of operation. Problem, the compressors are undersized for the duty and are pretty much flogged out. We are considering installing a third larger compressor and plumbing it into the same air receiver. The larger compressor will then become the duty unit. The smaller ones will remain in situ but switched off. These would be used as a back up should the large compressor fail. I am also considering electrically interlocking the larger unit with the smaller unit, so that the large compressor can only be run when the small compressors are off. Does anyone envisage any problems with operating the compressors this way, and having three compressors into the same receiver. TIA

Reply to
BIGEYE

Not really. We have three 75hp compressors at work feeding into one receiver. Only trick is getting the start/stop load/unload setpoints setup the way we like them. So one runs continuously loaded, one runs and loads/unloads (they have automatic unloaders) as needed, and the third will autostart if pressure drops too far (unusual load or one of the other compressors fails).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Reply to
BIGEYE

Running three compressors into one receiver shouldn't be a problem. Un less the site has scope for complex automation (nice, but when does that happen?) do as you have suggested. The only aside is something you haven't mentioned. What is your air board like. To have three units it would be best to have full isolation. isolation will have to be remote from the compressors for safety, with pipwork venting for maintenance.

If the system can cope, fit non return valves after the isolation valves, and have your interlocking as part of a changeover scheme/ booster scheme. Then you'll have more robust system all round,

We generally use 2 or 3 compressors into dual air receivers (so thatwe can have one out for insurance inspection with no loss of facility) judicious use of plumbing makes a very flexible system. ( Could be a damned sight better ) (Receivers at 3000psi, air system at 540psi through reducing valves, 3 compressors on a Main Standby Out of Service scheme, with run time changeover between the two in service, as well as changeover for fault ( every bloody week).

Air Blast CB's use much air...............................

Neil

Reply to
Neil Swanson

Runnig three compressors into one receiver shouldn't be a problem. Un less the site has scope for complex automation (nice, but when does that happen?) do as you have suggested. The only aside is something you haven't mentioned. What is your air board like. To have three units it would be best to have full isolation. isolation will have to be remote from the compressors for safety, with pipwork venting for maintenance.

[...]

Existing receiver has two single phase units mounted on top. They operate duty/assist/standby. They will only be required as standby when we install the new compressor. The new one is three phase, star/delta start and is a screw compressor. Is there any problem with having different types of compressor on the same air receiver, eg. screw, piston, vane. There will be no air isolation between the receiver and the existing compressors, only electrical isolation. In effect we will be pressurising the receiver and the high pressure air end of the existing compressors from the new compressor.

Reply to
BIGEYE

What you are doing will work fine, but if your new compressor is a lot larger than your current capacity, you will likely find that it will short-cycle. This will contribute to a shortened life and extra maintenance over time. If this is a concern, you should save your pop cans and scrap aluminum and copper and buy the company a larger receiver.

One customer we have didn't want a larger receiver so they added a larger air line encircling (overhead) the production floor. The piping actually serves as added capacity to their receiver.

Reply to
User 1.nospam

Check you power... Will the third compressor over tax your electrical? Check this before you install your third compressor.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick

We have enough power. Separate supply being run for new compressor. Thanks.

Reply to
BIGEYE