Control Systems

Hi all,

I have no experience designing electrical circuits and I would like to try building a control system for an underground sprinkler system. Is this something I can do with a few trips to Radio Shack, or is this way too complicated? Basically, I was thinking of having moisture sensing transducers buried throughout my backyard, and based on the moisture level and time of day, the system would decide whether to activate the sprinkler system. I'm guessing I would have to correlate the rate at which the moisture level increases when the sprinkler system is on, so I know how long to keep the sprinkler system on to get the moisture level within the control range. It would really be nice if I could make each sprinkler head independent and only water specific areas that require it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
BigDaDDY

BigDaDDY wrote on Wednesday (28/01/2004) :

That would be a fairly trivial project for someone who knew what they were doing, but not something for the newcomer to tackle in the most sophisticated form you mentioned.

Ground moisture levels can easily be detected and set to maintain a pre-set level.

You might look at some circuits such as sump pump controllers which use probes instead of float switches. DIY flood sensing circuits intended to be placed under washing machines. I have even seen DIY circuits able to trigger car windscreen wipers when it rains. Simply adjust the sensitivity of one of these circuits and reverse its operation to enable a solenoid valve when dry. Replicate the circuit plus solenoid valve for each sprinkler head you want to independently control. Add a timing mechanism to have it only operate between set times.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you do not know the difference between a Class 2 circuit and a power limited circuit or what a separately derived AC system is then hire someone, or spend about 5 years learning how to design these systems then do it yourself.

Reply to
Mr. Smith

Nah! This stuff is easy. Just limit the power stuff to readily available (and UL approved) X10 components. Then play with the sensors and control algorithms to your heart's content.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Thanks, a voice of reason

Reply to
Greg

About moisture sensing and sprinkler control systems -- most often gypsum blocks are used as sensors, check out Irrometer Co, Soilmoisture Equipment Co, or Supersensors, all located in California.

If you call your local golf courses you may find somepeople who are actually doing this stuff. I looked into it about 6 years ago, the references are that dated. It's also pretty interesting to learn how ununiform water distribution is. It's an intersting project. ajw.

Reply to
tony

Sure, I run into your radio shack engineering everyday. You think you know what you are doing but end up with a mess. You know garbage in, garbage out.

Reply to
Mr. Smith

Oh, my! We have a "REAL ELECTRICIAN" (TM) here that thinks he knows everything. You haven't a frappin' clue.

X10 stuff is perfectly safe and very flexible. If one wants to play with mains switching it is the perfect way to go. Much can be done with simple *PLUG-IN* modules, again perfectly safely. The control stuff can be done on a PC, again *PERFECTLY SAFELY*.

You holier than thou electricians make me laugh. Most of your type shouldn't be left near anything larger than a "D" cell. The wiring in my house shows that I'm right!

Get down off your high-horse and you'll find that you too can be replaced by another idiot with little more than common sense.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

The good news about this guy is that Darwin was right...and sooner or later his flippant attitude about "perfectly safe" electrical components in the hands of the untrained will eventually eliminate him and his kind from the gene pool. :-)

Reply to
Bob

...another stupid over-paid, under-worked, sparky heard from.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams